Allen Magnums, Long Range Bullet Updates...

Long Range Demon,

Keith,

I have some 300 gr ULD's coming from Richard here soon. He is building some true 0.3380" diameter bullets for my 338 Kahn in both 300 and 350 gr versions. The 300 gr pill is supposed to have a B.C. inthe mid .8's and the 350 gr version in the mid .9's!!!

I would certainly give them a try in your 338 Lapua. The 350 gr pills may be a bit long without a special throat but the 300 gr pills will shoot very well.

I tested a few of his 300 gr ULD hunting bullets in my Kahn. These have a blunter nose profile to aid in expansion but they still dropped less then the 300 gr SMK at 500 yards which is as far as I tested them with the few I had. They also shot into sub 1" three shot groups at that range as well. Well, two of the three groups were between .8 and .9". The third opened to around 1.3" ctc.

The 300 gr SMK averaged around 1.4" for three shot groups at 500 yards, certainly still impressive but the Wildcats had a significantly smaller average out of my Kahn.

Only way to see how they shoot in your rifle is to shoot some.

When they get in I will ship you a few samples of both the .338" bullets and the new 257 bullets. I must admit I am also very curious to see those 145 gr ULD's.

You can contact Richard at:

[email protected]

Great guy to work with and responds very quickly if he is not hunting!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby I have to admit I was really leaning twards the .257 in the begining ya know when I spoke to you and you sent that dummy round to me but I really think out of the three your working on the 6.5 with some heavy pills is going to be the cats *** yeah you may not get that 3800-4000 like the .257 with the 100 grainers but your going to have one Flat shooting High B.C. Deer Thumper with the 6.5 can't wait! Thanks again Kirby
smile.gif

Keith,

They all will have their pluses for sure. The 257 version will be for those who want the absolute flattest trajectory over 500 yards for use on game such as pronghorn and deer.

The 270 version will be for those wanting a very good trajectory with the added frontal area to hammer larger game such as caribou and even elk with the heavy bullets.

The 6.5 version I agree may be the most versitile of all but remember, the new 257 bullets are **** near the equal to the 6.5 in B.C. and S.D. and are only .007" smaller in diameter.

All three will be impressive rounds I guarantee.

Have a good day, better get to work again, jus thad to order another barrel on line so I figured I would check the posts.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yeah but don't you think that the 6.5 has a better selection of pills than the .257 ...I'm saying if you use something rather than the Wildcat Bullets? providing they will stay together lol
smile.gif

Keith,

The 6.5mm AM will more then likely be far to much gun for most 6.5mm bullets. That said, the premium bullets in 6.5mm will perform well.

I feel personally that the AM rounds will be very impressive rounds but without using the Wildcat Bullets designed specifically for them, they will not perform up to the design goals.

They will certainly increase the performance level of the three calibers but they need these bullets to do what they are designed for.

Take the 257 AM for example. With the heaviest bullet available from the factory, the 120 gr class bullets, this round will certainly be a screamer but no where near the total package that it will be with the Wildcat bullets.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

They look a lot like JLK's. Does he make any in 180 grain 7mm or heavier? What about 30 cal offerings? Maybe I skipped over if he did or not I just glanced over the posts lightly to see what most of the gist was about.
They have a bit longer shaft and a "shorter" ogive than the smk's do, or they look that way from the pics.
Dave

Daveosok,

Richard is working on a 160 class ULD for the 6.5mm to be used in hte 6.5mm AM. We kicked around the idea of trying to make a 180 gr version but after finding out this bullet would be basically the same length as the 300 gr .338 ULD's we decided this may be a little to exotic for even us.

There will be a ULD in the 160 to 165 gr range though which should have a B.C. in the .8 range.

Richard is working hard on th e.257 and 270 bullets first so when I hear anything on the 6.5mm's I will fill everyone in.

He offers a 169.5 gr ULD in the 7mm with a Rebated Boattail design.

He also lists a 175 gr RBT with a HP. Richard will build you **** near anything you want if its possible and I would think the 180 gr 7mm bullet would be pretty simply to build for him.

He offers alot of .308" heavies. Using the J-4 jackets he lists a 180, 210 and 230 gr ULD Rebated Boattail.

He lists a 210 gr ULD rebated Boattail using Corbin jackets.

He also lists a 250 gr ULD Rebated Boattail using Harfeild jackets. I have not tested these big 308's but these are the same jackets used for the big 338 ULD bullets I have tested and they were very accurate in my testing.

Just drop Richard an e-mail and he will give you all the information you want. Do not be afraid to ask about a bullet design that may be a little different then the norm, he a more then willing to experiment as long as he has the tooling to do so and he has alot of stuff!

His E-Mail is:

[email protected]

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.