Ultimate Budget Caliber

cowboyarcher

What would you guys think it is the ultimate budget LRH round for elk class animals? Say, out to 700-100 yards? There are all the latest and greatest out there, but they are expensive to shoot and load for, and the rifles are not cheap either. Think in terms of price per round, brass and rifle availability and ballistics. Maybe the ease of obtaining high BC bullets factors in here too, as some of the more exotic bullets are hard to find!

What say you? Are we talking a 300 WM, 280 AI, 270/7WSM?

For pure practicality and cost effectiveness the 300 win mag is hands down the best option for an elk hunting caliber. The 300 win mag has Cheap Remington Corlok ammo available at every Walmart across the nation. It also has the case capacity to run with just about everything new and flashy. And with the fancy bullets we have today the 300wm is nothing short of amazing. There's no real advantage in the new 30 Nosler or 300 PRC over the 300wm they are just new and modern cases that do practically the same thing.

Realistically, I think we gotta assume reloads if someone is budget concious and competent at those ranges. I think 300WM or 7RM are the obvious answers but depending on elevation, my 30-06 slinging 215gr bergers at 2700fps is good to 1/2mi (880yd). That rifle has accounted for a lot of elk. Haven't had to shoot one that far yet, but in good conditions I would give it a go.

280AI is right there with it (but 30-06 brass is a lot easier to come by).

As great as the 300wm is, and knowing full well it can kill an Elk at 1,000 yds, is it really an effective 1,000 elk cartridge? I think the margin is a little to close. Probably need to go with the 338wm. Is your priority cost or success? Define that first.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.