Ultimate 6mm

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I have been digging through back posts and magazine articles and I am trying to get a definative aswer on what the ultimate long range 6mm cartridge would be. I would shoot the heavier 6mm bullet, 90-115 grain at around 2800-3100 fps. It would be used for long range varmint/target and possibly whitails or antelope. I have thought about goodgroupers dasher, a 6br, the old fashioned 243 win, one of Kirby Allen's god guns, etc etc. I am just wondering what you all think the ultimate long range 6mm round would be.
Thanks
Steve Elmenhorst

Lerch,

For your listed 2800-3100 fps velocity range with the 90 to 115 gr bullets you really do not need that large of a round. I will be building a rifle here soon that was designed pretty much to those exact spec, 107 gr bullet loaded to 2800-2900 fps.

We decided to go with the 6mm-250 wildcat as it would easily reach these velocities with good consistant working pressures, brass is cheap and quality and barrel life would be very long with the Lilja 3 groove barrel.

The larger 6mm rounds would certianly offer higher performance levels, I have built several 6mm-284s, 6mm-06s, and even teh 6mm-06 AIs but all really have more HP then needed for todays match bullets. With the stouter jackets or custom bullets they can be used to full effect but for the performance goals you list, there is no need for the dramatically shortened barrel life.

Another great option would be the 243 AI as it has a bit more power then the 6mm-250, better case design then the standard 243 but still offer very low recoil and great barrel life. These are the size ranges I would consider perfect for your velocity goals and bullet weights.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I recently bought a Rem 700 .243 just for the action to have it built into a 6mmXC 30 inch barrel 1:8 twist. It's primary mission after paper testing will be Varmints.

The BR gunsmith company that I talked to convinced me that it had some advantages over the 6mmBR dasher. Although the BR is probably the best tuned small group round made. When it comes down to splitting hairs of accuracy I have shot guns that were more accurate than me.

Somebody could hand me a rifle that just shot a sub 5 inch 1000 yard group and I might shoot a 15 inch group. The shooters skill has allot to do with it.

If it's more hunting type gun the 6mm rem holds a tad more powder than 243. When combined with a 26 inch bull barrel it can really launch 105 grains for deer hunting.

My vote would go to 6Dasher. Great brass, good barrel life, super LR accuracy. I believe you can even get dies from redding.
The 6XC's value is really tied to the 115DTAC. It has just the right capacity for that bullet. The dasher trumps it otherwise. So if your confident in getting all your components from one source, then it's hard to beat this combo. A pretty big commitment in my view(which I too have made).

My vote goes to the 243Ai with a 1-8 twist but you may need a 1-7 to shoot those 115gr VLD style bullets. But the 105gr A-amx and 95gr Berger VLD are great and hit realy well at 800yds I'm sure they'll make the 1k easy enough. With fore formed Lapua brass out of a 28" hart barrel I can get 3000fps easly with the 107gr class bullets accuracy seems to be right at the 3k mark though. great brass good barrel life and you can still shoot factory ammo if you need to

All the above posts give you are really good idea of the available options. First decide on how long a barrel you want to use. The smaller 250 based cases will not work well if only using a 22 to 24" barrel. Their performance only comes from 28" and longer barrels.

So if you want to use a shorter barrel, use a bigger case.

I prefer the 243 and the AI versions as brass is just so readily available. The BR and improved version are outstanding but again, depends on your barrel length.

Jerry

I've got a 6br,6x284 and 6mmremAI and my next project will be a 6x250. I used to shoot a 6HLS with a 1/14 twist just a different version of the 6x250 and was a pretty nice round. Might want to check with Kirby but think may be alittle on the light side as an antelope rifle alot depends bullets and range. I'll find out in another week if I get drawn for antelope and if so will use a 6.5x284. Well good luck.

One of my most favorite long range rounds hands down is the fast twist 6br improved. Performance way beyond the sum of it's parts. This is a pic of one of my latest 1000 yard gong groups. It was shot with 95 grain Berger VLD's at 3030 fps using 31.5 grains of Varget with an sd of 4 fps! The gong is a 9" circle, and the group goes exactly 5"(outside to outside) for the 5 shots. The fifth shot is actually exactly inside the upper right splash (thus leaving a heavier,darker mark) made by the 2nd shot. The bottom edge hit is a .338 300 grain MK from my favorite 2k round, the .338 MOAG. The 6br improved fast twist will typically always shoot this well if I do my part reading the wind flags. Best of all, I can shoot up to 20 rounds on an 80 degree day without toasting my barrel's throat.
brt1000gong.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts