$1500 budget

SoDak636

ok guys, say you were building a rifle off of a long action savage with a magnum bolt face with the intention of shooting steel to 1500+yards and big game hunting out to 800-1000yards. Given a $1500 budget including optics, what would you build(already have the donor so its the full 1500 into parts/optics) what would you build
-prefit barrel: brand, length, contour, caliber
-stock
-muzzlebrake
-optic/base/rings
-other accessories

Well, I was going to suggest a McGowen prefit in 338 Lapua, but don't see one listed at NSS. He does list a Shilin prefit in 300 WM, I just don't think it has enough HP to reach 1500 consistently. But thats what I would start with.

Stocks are really a personally choice, you can certainly get a great one from several sources.

Optics. Right now Nightforce is popular, but that overbudget. Maybe a Burris, with Burris sig rings and bases.

Good luck, pics required.

Larry
Tinkerer

Wow for the range you want to shoot with the accuracy you will need I'd say the budget needs improvement first . Optics = get the best you can afford ,
Nightforce $1400-$1900
Savage .338 Lapua 110 H-S Precision or the BA $1100-$1900
Buy once , Cry once , save save save

I've been throwin' around this idea and pretty sure it's a little over the $1500, but not by much:

McGowen prefit in .338 EDGE or .300 RUM with muzzlebrake
pillar bedded boyds laminate thumbhole
EGW 20moa base burris xtreme tactical rings
Sightron Siii 6-24x50LRMOA

It'd be run as a single shot if i went this route.What are ya'lls thoughts?

I've been throwin' around this idea and pretty sure it's a little over the $1500, but not by much:

McGowen prefit in .338 EDGE or .300 RUM with muzzlebrake
pillar bedded boyds laminate thumbhole
EGW 20moa base burris xtreme tactical rings
Sightron Siii 6-24x50LRMOA

It'd be run as a single shot if i went this route.What are ya'lls thoughts?

I think you're right on track. I'll offer a couple more ideas.

You'll need a cheaper/better brake than the ones McGowen use. I'd recommend a Ross Schuler brake. It's the best brake for the $$$ bar none. He can also thread your barrel.

I'll also point you in the direction of a Stockade Pdog/Tactical stock. It's better suited for long range work.

My last suggestion would be Signature Zee's instead of XTR's. They hold just as well, protect the scope, and can fine tune windage or add more elevation for those longer shots.

I've built a 338 RUM very close to what you want and it went over your budget and I didn't take any labor into the total. You might come dang close with a McGowen prefit and the laminate stock, what will get you is the brake with install. Make sure you get a quality recoil lug also.

Brux fluted barrel, Muscle brake, Stockade P-dog stock and recoil lug, EGW 20 MOA HD rail, Burris rings with Sightron SIII 6-24x50. All on a Savage 110 action we had and I finished the stock and did all the machine work on the metal for a total at just over $1800. By the time it was all finished I think we hit 2 grand but what my buddies wife doesn't know won't hurt his gunsmith :D

@Geargrinder, part of the reason i'm lookin at the boyd's is i have one on my .308 and i really like how it feels and by using the same stock there's little to no difference in comfortable shooting position between the 2 rifles

bigngreen, how do you like the .338 RUM? I've looked into that as well due to the super high cost of EDGE dies. As to the labor cost I'm planning on doing the work myself to A)save money and B)give myself something to occupy my free time, and for some reason I've always wanted to build my own rifle.

Seems there are alot of votes for the stockade stocks, anybody have any opinions about the stockade elk stalker?

I like the 338 RUM, that rifle has sent more rounds past a mile than any range and done well. It shoots a 300gr Berger at 2800fps with a 29in barrel with no pressure signs, the Edge is awesome as well and should get you a little bit more velocity.
I like the Stockade stocks, you have to get them ordered well in advance of the build and if your anal but if you have a stock that fits you well and your used to you may be better served by sticking with it.

032.jpg

ok heres what I got...

Greybull stock $350
Benchmark prefit barrel $425
Recoil lug $30
Vortex viper 6-24 pst $750
CSR break installed $160
Talley Ringmounts $55
TOTAL=$1770

Thats the best I can do for a feasible setup. Since you only want to kill stuff to 800-100 I would suggest a 7mm or 30 cal. A 7mm rem mag or 7mmLRM will go to 1500 yards for targets and easily take game to 1000. Less recoil and less cost to shoot and reload. These estimats are if you do all the work. From experience if you inlcuded shipping and the small stuff plan on spending another $400. Sound like too much but when you add up bedding compound, action screws, and the shipping for the 6 items you are easily close to the $400 mark. With all of that you will have a single shot.

Here is the question you have to ask yourself: If I get it this way will I want it some other way very soon? and If I want to upgrade, whats the chances of selling this setup without loosing the bank?

Just speaking from experience here is all.

My best suggestion would be to sell the action you have and buy a savage long range hunter in 7mm rem mag and put good rings and a vortex viper pst on it and you will have enough left over to buy good reloading dies, brass and components.

If I were to go with a 7mm i would be looking at the 7mm SAUM. I'd run it as a repeater using the factory Savage DBM and put it into a Boyd's thumbhole stock, which i have also thought about doing, a Manners MCS-TA or T5A would be nice but obviously way over budget. The more I look into it the more I think i may have to raise the budget, but it'll be so i can get better glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.