Ukrainian sniper kill at 2.36 miles-ballistics?

wildcat westerner

Howdy, my cousin sent me these details. A Russian was shot at 2.36 miles by a Ukrainian sniper with a 50 caliber sniper rifle, using military ammo. Is there someone out there with the knowledge and intelligence, using the military round and ammo, to figure out just how long that bullet had to have been in the air in the huge arc it took to get that long distance? Seems to me that in another long shot in Afghanistan the bullet was airborne in that shot for over 9 seconds.

So, with a real rough calculation on my Strelok ballistic calculator, taking data from the Barrett website on their .50 cal page, at 4100 yards, a little short than the 4163 yards that 2.36 miles is,

Muzzle data vel=2800 fps.
Muzzle energy=11507 ft/lbs

4100 yds data.
Vel=641 fps.
Energy=605 ft/lbs.
Drop in inches (ft)= 21352 inches (1779 ft).
Time of flight = 12.42 seconds

Heck of a shot!

it used a 14.5mmx114mm case necked down to 12.7mm. pretty sure that thing was fired at orbital velocities

and more on the rifle and caliber

They can claim a kill all they want, but that video is inconclusive at best and at worst appears the "targets" just ducked after the fact.
AKA "Ghost of Kiev". Nice to have such round numbers for the new official record! Cuz at that distance, 5 meters matters even with that new cartridge.

It would seem more likely that the shooter was aiming at something else completely, and would have accidentally hit the person at 2.36 miles. I'm not saying anything is impossible, but dang unlikely.
But hey, tomorrow I could win 80 billion dollars in the lottery, become the Queen of Egypt, marry my dream man, see a cow jump over the moon, make my own 2.36 mile shot so accurately that I hit the coyote i was aiming at, and become the sole owner of Toyota?

Unlikely yes, but never say never.

So, with a real rough calculation on my Strelok ballistic calculator, taking data from the Barrett website on their .50 cal page, at 4100 yards, a little short than the 4163 yards that 2.36 miles is,

Muzzle data vel=2800 fps.
Muzzle energy=11507 ft/lbs

4100 yds data.
Vel=641 fps.
Energy=605 ft/lbs.
Drop in inches (ft)= 21352 inches (1779 ft).
Time of flight = 12.42 seconds

Heck of a shot!

Only a 1779 foot drop in elevation...well now that shot just sounds like its easy to make 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What mountain top was the shooter on 😂😂😂😂😂

Probably BS/propaganda to encourage more funding. Stuff like this not unknown.

Terminal velocity 641 fps as stated in previous post. Midrange trajectory about 1/4 mile.

Time of flight (12.4 sec) long enough for any movement of target over 1 ft for miss. Then there are shot to shot velocity variations. The Hornady 4DOFcomes up with almost 10 seconds for 3828 yards with the pointy .50 AMax at 2600 mv, wind at 3mph is 19 ft - provided plastic tippy thing is not melted off.

New bullet designs having pop out fins?