internal ballistics at elevation change

tbrice23

I reload and practice at 700-750 ft elevation. I cant rifle deer hunt in this asinine bull s--- state. I hunt in TN. at 400-450 ft elevation. When I sight in down there absolutely none of my loads are ever as accurate as at 700 ft.
I think my limited notes down there 20 to 30 fps slow at that elevation. I have a mobile press ready to go this season with me to travel but I know I will not have as much time to load as I would like because when I get there all ill want to do is hunt not reload.

Seems 70.8 - 71.5gr h1000 is my sweet spot with 168 vldh and cci250s 3040 fps to 3070fps

You guys out west please give me some insight on what you do for major elevation change.

I suspect thst something other than elevation might be going on with your rifle or load. You should generally not see a change in accuracy with the elevation change you describe, at least at moderate ranges. I load and practice at 350ft elevation where I live, and hunt at 2000-5000ft. I have been doing this for many years. Given my load is accurate, and my ES is under 12FPS, I have had no issues when hunting at higher elevations with a few different rifles/calibers. Since temperatures are usually also a variable, it's important to use a temperature stable powder. H1000 does have pretty good temperature stability. After setting up my zero and ballistic program at home, 350ft elevation, when I arrive at my hunting location, the first thing I will do is check my zero at 100 or 200 yards. It has usually been unchanged. If I enter the altitude, temperature, and humidity for the new location into my ballistic calculator, I'm good to go. The majority of my shooting is under 1000 yards. It is important to be sure your bullet's BC used in the program is accurate.IMO.

Thanks this year will be h1000. Last year and the year before I used ar camp for .308 and rl22 for 300wm.
Maybe hodgdons will come through for me.
We will see?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.