Ukrainian civilian LR shooters to snipers.

Bob Wright

Interesting read. I have biases about which country provides better snipers but these shooters are operating under new threats, enemy capabilities, etc.

Then where's all the money going ? Lol
Probably in gear like anti thermal materials as noted in the article. Comparing their sniper duties to our snipers is different mission, and for good reasons. For one we're talking about a small country with limited resources and population going against a major power. They can't afford to lose troops like Russia can. So they have to change the job from sniping to forward observers. Our snipers and scouts do the same, but for the Ukraine I think the mission must lean more towards forward observation with no chance of being detected. So the money probably goes more towards optics, coms, thermals, and anti-thermal material.

Probably in gear like anti thermal materials as noted in the article. Comparing their sniper duties to our snipers is different mission, and for good reasons. For one we're talking about a small country with limited resources and population going against a major power. They can't afford to lose troops like Russia can. So they have to change the job from sniping to forward observers. Our snipers and scouts do the same, but for the Ukraine I think the mission must lean more towards forward observation with no chance of being detected. So the money probably goes more towards optics, coms, thermals, and anti-thermal material.
Yes I did read the article. We been sending trillions. And I would also assume we have been sending some of our best equipment. And since they are not shooting, where are all the primers going ? lol

Yes I did read the article. We been sending trillions. And I would also assume we have been sending some of our best equipment. And since they are not shooting, where are all the primers going ? lol
The snipers aren't shooting much. but the soldier is shooting quite a bit. We've had a primer shortage well before the war.

Interesting how the article interlaced the probable reality in opposition to the incessant 18 month drone of malarkey we've been getting. 9 outta 10 assigned have been hit and of the hit 50% were fatal... heck of a way to be a "sniper".

Ww1 has re emerged, drones and artillery are the new reality. Looking the artillery and mortar fire reports from either side, it's safe to say the Vietnam to Afghanistan sniper role is not viable in near peer and peer conflict.

Last edited:
Snipers - no collateral damage, like blowing up a school, orphanage, or hospital. Negligible cost compared to drones, missiles & whatever.

Sniping is effective in disrupting Russian rigid chain of command by removing field leadership and material, especially in urban settings having heat confusion.

"Russia continues to rely heavily on senior officers for both strategic and tactical decisions, rather than entrusting the latter to NCOs or junior enlisted officers."

Snipers - no collateral damage, like blowing up a school, orphanage, or hospital. Negligible cost compared to drones, missiles & whatever.

Sniping is effective in disrupting Russian rigid chain of command by removing field leadership and material, especially in urban settings having heat confusion.

"Russia continues to rely heavily on senior officers for both strategic and tactical decisions, rather than entrusting the latter to NCOs or junior enlisted officers."
Am I to believe what the media writes now ? lol

Russia has certainly lost a lot of generals, granted it appears their doctrine puts them in far greater harm as well.

While attributing it to sniper fire to this seems optimistic, considering outside more critical observation seems to credit field artillery, mortars and increasingly drones with the brunt of all casualties.

We like a good rugged ideal in the west, idea of a sniper fits that. Sadly it may not be real.

Sniper team from hell

Screenshot (753).png