UK gunsmiths and custom rifle builders refusing to work on Bergara rifles because of their poor quality

Someone keep on saying bergara is cheap euro trash,
That would be me. They screwed me over, so I bought a second rifle just to prove they come rusted from the factory. No one can tell me I can't say it - I bought the ticket, took the ride, and will never stop saying how poorly I was treated by them.

That's the beauty of a company ****ing off a customer, they don't get to come back and tell me to shut up about it. All I wanted was a barrel without rust and they said **** off. Remington sold me a rifle that wouldn't chamber a round, I got it back from warranty with a new barrel on it. Why wouldn't Bergara do the same thing?

I went to an LGS yesterday to pick up something, happened to peruse their selection of Bergara rifles. I'd say more than half had surface rust on the outside of the bolts, and these were the fancier model fluted ones that weren't blued. Seems like their QC is still BS.

I have worked at several gun stores and have literally played with every bolt action rifle built. They are all different from the factory, and when brand new, very few feel as good as they will after being properly lubricated and cycled. That said, my preference for any custom build would be a pre-64 Winchester model 70 action. Many custom gunsmiths I know would concur, however, like anything else, it's subjective, and as the old saying goes, "opinions (especially online) are like a$$holes, and they all stink!", I would include mine in this group as well.

That would be me. They screwed me over, so I bought a second rifle just to prove they come rusted from the factory. No one can tell me I can't say it - I bought the ticket, took the ride, and will never stop saying how poorly I was treated by them.

That's the beauty of a company ****ing off a customer, they don't get to come back and tell me to shut up about it. All I wanted was a barrel without rust and they said **** off. Remington sold me a rifle that wouldn't chamber a round, I got it back from warranty with a new barrel on it. Why wouldn't Bergara do the same thing?

I went to an LGS yesterday to pick up something, happened to peruse their selection of Bergara rifles. I'd say more than half had surface rust on the outside of the bolts, and these were the fancier model fluted ones that weren't blued. Seems like their QC is still BS.
That's weird since all bergara rifles come cerakoted from the factory since more than one year 😂

Mine don't have had any rust issue after years of abuse while hunting, not using a borescope.

I have had big rust issues with cz and remington, not with bergaras but go figure

It's true, but not just on the negative, the positive as well. You'd be amazed how many manufacturing employees, reps and sponsored shooters are on forums and sites posting overly positive things/reviews about the brands they are paid/sponsored to represent in an overly positive light. One of the best things industry did was convince people that reviews and negative feedback posted about them is not to be believed and that for every bad thing you read there's10,000 good things you didn't and that people only post negative things not positive.

Influencing is an industry that goes far beyond just social media sites.
You can purchase good and bad reviews easily enough my suggestion is to take everything with a pinch of salt.

That's weird since all bergara rifles come cerakoted from the factory since more than one year 😂
Maybe these are old new stock because the word is out on how ****** they are.

First one I picked up off the shelf today, wonder what that bore looks like:
IMG_9287.jpg

Maybe these are old new stock because the word is out on how ****** they are.

First one I picked up off the shelf today, wonder what that bore looks like:
View attachment 477634
That's just crazy, who knows what happened to those guns. They must have been stored in the worst way possible before getting to the shop. Maybe it has something to do with shipping overseas, who knows. My bergaras are not prone to rust for sure because i abused them quite a bit and i have never seen a single eust spot in years. So the metal or the surface is clearly not prone to rust generally. If you find a rusted rifle in a shop you can't know what caused the rust since the gun was not in your possession. Buying a gun without rust and seeing the rust popping up worh regular use and good maintenance is the only way someone can tell if the gun is prone to rust. I have seen rust developing only on my remingtons and on my czs. The stock of a cz even had mold growing inside a cz 527 carbine stock. Oh and a friend of mine had his savage 110 turn into orange overnight. And once i was replacing rear sights on a glock 19 and there was rust underneath. Anyway, i have never heard about rust issues with bergaras from people i know and i never had any bad experience in this regard. Generally speaking, newer guns tend to rust much more than old ones (first half of 1900), I have seen many old surplus rifles without a single rust spot but almost any used modern rifle you see in gun shops has rust here where i live and in Italy in general!

Looks like they don't want to invest 20 cents into an anti-corrosion agent.
Talk about cutting cost. :rolleyes:
A gun should not corrode, especially on the bolt, just because there is no anticorrosion agent. Almost any new gun i bought didn't have one. That must be the consequence of a very long storage in bad conditions or a short one in very bad conditions.

A gun should not corrode, especially on the bolt, just because there is no anticorrosion agent. Almost any new gun i bought didn't have one. That must be the consequence of a very long storage in bad conditions or a short one in very bad conditions.
So, you're saying carbon steels don't rust without a protective coating?

So, you're saying carbon steels don't rust without a protective coating?
It depends on storage conditions. If storage conditions are decent it won't rust. I keep all my guns in a himidity controlled room (40-50% humidity) wothout any coating. They don't rust, period. It's 10 years i am doing this and i live in a very humid enviroment. And that bolt is stainless steel i think, it definitely doesn't need a coating if you store it properly. Anyway, again, i have never seen any new rifle from any brand coated with anti rust agents when i bought it from distributors or importers. All this conversation about rust in the lgs is not very useful anyway because, again, you can't know what those rifles passed through before getting in the shop. The only way to see how a rifle holds up against rust is.. owning one without rust from the shop and using it as it is supposed to.

I'm not trying to argue, but those rifles come from Spain. Unless the manufacturer applies some form of anti-corrosion inhibitor, there is no way anyone can control what environmental conditions they will be exposed to during shipping to numerous countries. Once they start to get corrosion, they will continue to corrode until it is addressed. And if I had to guess, I would say the bolt is made of 4140, a high carbon steel.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to argue, but those rifles come from Spain. Unless the manufacturer applies some form of anti-corrosion inhibitor, there is no way anyone can control what environmental conditions they will be exposed to during shipping to numerous countries. Once they start to get corrosion, they will continue to corrode until it is addressed. And if I had to guess, I would say the bolt is made of 4140, a high carbon steel.
For sure putting a corrosion inhibitor would be a good idea, no doubt about that, but that doesn't have much to do with the quality of the rifle or the QC in my opinion. It's more of a logistic issue that should be assessed in this particular case. It's not a common finding anyways, at least in my experience and for what i have read