Wyoming/Montana Custom Rifle Builder

Looking to finally have my early '90s 700 25-06 rebarrelled and accurized. This gun is incredibly special to me and am looking for a quality, precision rifle gunsmith anywhere really in Wyoming/Montana. I'll gladly travel for craftsmanship, but am located between Cody, WY and north to the MT border. Some that I've heard good things about have been Misery Customs, Macs Gunworks, and Snowy Mountain Rifles. Any input?

Looking to do:
26" 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist 25-06 Ackley Improved, Throated for 133/135 Bergers.
Stock bedded/fitted
Trigger
DBM
Cerakote/Bead Blast
Justin Linenbach-Kinport Peak Rifles in Pocatello ID if that is not too far for you. He has done 2 rifles for me and doing two more that should be finished this week. Top-notch work. 208-961-6932. Not only is he good Smith, he is an incredible ELR shooter also. Top 10 in the Nightforce shoot for several years now.

Manzella Precision in Roundup has been doing all my work last 12 months, several chambers of all varieties, shoot great. I know he has a 25-06ai reamer on order from jgs. He may have it in hand already, I do not know. He prefers hawkhill barrels for their consistency. The last 7.5tw hawkhill I ordered took 5 months to get as its such a rare order for them. Dallas Lane of LPR does excellent work, Alex Wheeler too but long wait times. Just at Kinport Peak does good work. So does Matt Whaley of Whaley Precision in CDA. They've all built me rifles that shoot very well.

Looking to finally have my early '90s 700 25-06 rebarrelled and accurized. This gun is incredibly special to me and am looking for a quality, precision rifle gunsmith anywhere really in Wyoming/Montana. I'll gladly travel for craftsmanship, but am located between Cody, WY and north to the MT border. Some that I've heard good things about have been Misery Customs, Macs Gunworks, and Snowy Mountain Rifles. Any input?

Looking to do:
26" 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist 25-06 Ackley Improved, Throated for 133/135 Bergers.
Stock bedded/fitted
Trigger
DBM
Cerakote/Bead Blast
Did you get a final decision made?

I'm out of Billings and I'm daydreaming about turning my 24" left handed X bolt in 25-06 into a 26" 25 Sherman.

Wondering if you had any updates.

Mac's screwed up two muzzle breaks for me. I'm done with them.
They're the reason I'm sticking with Tikka actions, prefit barrels, and chassis'. Such a disappointment. Had to send my gun back twice. After the third attempt, it still wouldn't feed correctly and I sold the stock. Sorry to write this and maybe they're great, but NOT for me.

Steve Downs at Sage Flatts Shooters in Jordan MT has built several rifles for me..all look great and even more important shoot very well! I'd give him a call...he does some guiding this time of year so he does get busy...

The one gunsmith has left Snowy Mountain Rifles the other month. That a long drive. He has relocated. If I am correct his Phone # is (406) 369-3007. I left that part of the country just as he was moving. There is a man from middle Montana that has been blogging here on High Velocity Throat Erosion just as of late. He seem to be a top notch smith too. (FIFTYDRIVER). There another one in Wheatlen Wy I believe.
@Fiftydriver (Kirby Allen) is best of the best for sure. Not sure if you could get in on the time frame you need or not. If you're interested, just shoot him an email.

[email protected]

Edit: Noticed the OP date is old enough to likely no longer be relevant. 😏

@Fiftydriver (Kirby Allen) is best of the best for sure. Not sure if you could get in on the time frame you need or not. If you're interested, just shoot him an email.

[email protected]

Edit: Noticed the OP date is old enough to likely no longer be relevant. 😏
I was aware of that. I brought it back up when I asked what his decision was. I'm in almost exactly the same boat he was and I was curious what he decided and how it turned out.

Recent Posts