Two Rebels

pjmdy

I recently purchased two good long range rifles. (1) Savage MSR-15 Lr in .224 Valkyrie; (2) Ruger Hawkeye LR in 6.5 PRC. I took both to the range to zero them in. For the Savage, I was using Federal Am. Eagle, Hornady Match, and Federal Golden Premium. The Feds both worked well, but the Hornady refused to recycle rounds. I had to manually cycle each round through. It has an adjustable gas block, I opened that to the point the valve was ready to fall out, but no go. Result: Back to the factory. The Ruger was a much siimpler problem - the bolt refused to come back to load another round. You could move the handle up and down, but forget trying to load one. Three other people also tried but could not get it to open either. When I bought it, it worked fine, tried all three safety positions to no avail. Result: Back to the factory. Both guns are still out, but it was disappointing for what they cost to have these issues right out the gate. Guess things happen sometimes!!

Only reason I ask is I had a buddy with a Ruger American and I went with him to kinda walk him through the sight in/bipod rear bag shooting process. Cant remember the caliber but I know we were running hornady match in it and first shot it did the same thing. It was very hot load for that rifle, case expanded so much I could not get it extracted out of chamber. Ended up taking it home lightly tapping bolt handle rearward and finally got it out. Checked head space and it was fine. It easy that factory load was to spicy for that gun. I reloaded up some ammo for him and never seen that problem again.

PJMDY, that is a true tale of woe right there. Both new factory rifles not working properly and having to go back to the mothership? Talk about frustrating. I hope they come back quickly and all is right with the world after that. I experienced this one time (Colt H-Bar back in 1992'ish) and it irritated the heck out of me. Couldn't imagine having two guns, same day, fail me. Hope you saved your lottery ticket money that day. No way you were going to win with that kind of luck following you around.

Gas block get bumped out of alignment or does the screw open by turning in rather than out? Just asking, because that's the kind a boneheaded thing I do all the time. I speak from experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.