Two BR's, two results on varmints

goodgrouper

Two BR\'s, two results on varmints

Last week, 7mmrhb and I set out on a chuck hunt with our 6 BR's. His is a standard 6 br with a slow twist shooting 55 grain ballistic tips in excess of 3900 fps. My gun was a 6mm br Improved with an 8 twist shooting 105 Amax at 2900.

The day started at about 10:00. The temp was about 60 degrees and no clouds. The mirage was thick as soup at ground level but decreased drastically the higher up we looked.

The chucks were out feeding in full force, so we set up the bench and began our barage. The shots were from about 450 to 1250 yards. I can't remember who started shooting first but I do remember how dang well these rifles were shooting. Both rifles were putting shots in very sub caliber groups as far as elevation went, but there was a HUGE difference in the horizontal groups. My bullet has a bc nearly double that of the 55 grain BT and it was easy to see the difference. On shots only around 500 yards, it took about half as many windage clicks on my bullet to get a hit.

We were paying close attention to the trajectories this day because it was only a few days earlier when a "little bullet going fast" fan argued with me on this forum about what made the perfect prairie dog caliber. I knew before hand that the big bullet with the high bc is ultimately going to be the most verstatile projectile for shooting with any kind of distance involved, but this was the first time that we really paid attention to the actual field traj's. And it was the first time we had compared the diffs using two guns of the same basic cartridge. Even though my bullet started off 1000 fps slower at the muzzle, it caught up to the light bullet at the range most of the chucks were at (600 yards)!

It was very clear that out to 500 yards, they both were very capable of one shot hits in a fair wind. But it was also clear that if the wind was blowing more than a breeze, or if the shots were farther than 500, the high bc 105 made it much easier to connect on those wary chucks.

It was also very interesting as we surveyed the dead bodies. The chucks out to about 600 yards showed massive destruction with both bullets, but the 105 caused almost the same degree of destruction clear out to over 850 yards.
Both bullets were deadly, it was just that the 105's were deadly farther out!
And as for the "red mist" debate, yes, there was plenty mist with BOTH bullets. So given this info, the only reason I could see shooting a light bullet in a br or anything else for that matter, is to get slightly better accuracy at 100 yards or 200 yards or if you have a really small case capacity. 7mmrhb's BR undoubtedly shoots better at 100 than my fast twist br because it takes a few football fields for my bullet to go to "sleep".

I brought my digital camera to take pics of the results with the two different bullets, but when I charged the battery, I forgot to put it back in the camera! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
No wonder it felt lighter than usual!

If there are guys out there that are reading this forum and are trying to gather info to use in the designing of your next varmint caliber, take note. The fast twist barrels for any caliber ARE more versatile plain and simple. 7mmrhb's gun was pretty well done in that wind at 700 yards, and I continued to shoot at chucks at 1250 yards with my gun! Having one rifle that shoots scary groups from 100 yards to 1250 yards is very versatile!

It will be fun comparing my new standard br that I just recieved back last week to the br improved in future hunts. The reason I got the standard br slow twist made was just to shoot .1"-.2" groups at 100 yards for fun but I will also try some 700 yard chucks with it-when it is calmer!

Re: Two BR\'s, two results on varmints

I have had very good results with a 22 br fast twist for hunting. It shoots great out to about 800 yards. I use the 75 grain a-max at around 3200 FPS. I am kind of dissapointed with the bullet performance. It puts quater size holes through them at 500 yards. I agree with you, without b.c speed is nothing. People laugh at me when I talk about shooting at a 1000 with a 22 cal. With B>C and speed these little cartidges are great. I am maybe going to rechamber my 22 br to a dasher and try to boost velcioties a bit. Also got a 22 BR barrel for richards 100 gr 224. Let you know the results when he gets the bullets up and running. He sent me a sample .224 100 grain bullet it measures around 1.30 inches. Let you know of the results. Good shooting

You are 100% correct The Little bullets burn more powder and offer less long range abillity

[ QUOTE ]
I have had very good results with a 22 br fast twist for hunting. It shoots great out to about 800 yards. I use the 75 grain a-max at around 3200 FPS. I am kind of dissapointed with the bullet performance. It puts quater size holes through them at 500 yards. I agree with you, without b.c speed is nothing. People laugh at me when I talk about shooting at a 1000 with a 22 cal. With B>C and speed these little cartidges are great. I am maybe going to rechamber my 22 br to a dasher and try to boost velcioties a bit. Also got a 22 BR barrel for richards 100 gr 224. Let you know the results when he gets the bullets up and running. He sent me a sample .224 100 grain bullet it measures around 1.30 inches. Let you know of the results. Good shooting

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine the laugh when i tell them a couple buddies shoot to 1K with a 17 cal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

37gn custom bullet, and she does alright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

absolutely KILLS to 600yds, but a little struggle at 1K, but still competetive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Reed--if you make it to lewistown again, find me and i'll introduce you to one of the guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

i am going to try to make it to lewistown again. I know a 17 will work , but I'm kinda stuck on 22's. I have a 6.5 twist pac-nor to try some 90 and 100 grainer's but waiting on Richard and sierra to make some. Big guns are fun to shoot sometimes but little guns are always a blast. Take care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Reed,
Sounds like a sweet long range combo. I shoot the 75 grain Amax out of a 22-250 AI 8 twist at 3400 and have had good solid blow-ups on chucks up to 1250 yards. The Berger 80, the 80 Sierra and the Nosler 80 just poked holes from 300 yards on out, so I switched to the Amax and haven't looked back. But I have noticed that the Ogive length varies enough on them that I have to segregate them if I want good groups.

I wouldn't mind having a 22 dasher fast twist......maybe that's what I'll try next!

The fast twist 22's work great. I think they sometimes work better on deer than ground hogs. Like you said about the sierra nosler and berger poking holes in ground hogs. it,s very true. But they do have a flip side they perform excellent on deer. My previous 22 was a 22-250 ack 8 twist and I didn't have my big guns ready for red tag and deer season. So I used my 22-250 ack 80gr nosler J4 at 3400 FPS and I killed 7 deer with it , including my longest shot ever at a whitetail at 700 yards. Out to 500 yrds the 80 grains but baseball sized holes in deer and always passed through. After 500 they lost their edge. Not enough speed or retained energy. I mostly use all big guns for deer hunting know 7wsm and 30-338 laupa imp, but the best shots I ever made and most sucessful year ever was with 22-250 ack. On a side note I am probably going to buy a dasher reamer so if you want to give one a try I loan you the reamer.

[ QUOTE ]
No, I apologize for cutting in...Thanks for the info all, and I hope to see you you there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A name might help us find you there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll be at lewistown

Cheers,
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.