Two new Surgeon rifles

Free Run is North Yazzo county......I have a Yazzo City zip but Im 15 miles from it. In the hills overlooking Hillside WMA.

The stock Im getting on mine will be grey yea just plain ol dark grey SS on the metal....I figure I can allways coat it later.

[ QUOTE ]
Gaff ,

There is another thing about the Surgeon action folks I failed to mention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif........................they are a dang nice bunch of folks !

Even though I was largely in the way and mostly causing them to NOT be able to get stuff done they needed to they were very accommodating and no sense of rush about them .

I have two of those 338 lapmag actions ( Surgeon XL ) on the list for Scott and I . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right ther Jim...and, I'm jealous!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BB,

I thinking about taking it to Africa and shooting Dik-diks with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Or maybe I'll settle for a " herd Buck " in Wyoming like yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nyles , plain grey is a good all round color . I too like the matte stainles bbl finishes because they hold up better than painted finishes .

Update on the Surgeon rifles :

Well actually on one of them , Scotts as I am waiting till my next months bank robbery to get funds for my scope .

Loaded up 100 rounds using 39 grs of H4350 under 107 smks touching .

50 were primed with FED GM215 and the other 50 with FED GM 210 . just wanted to record the differences in case dimensions , velocity spreads as well as highest velos . Didn't figure t6here was any harm and there wasn't .

I will post the results of that later but wanted to get some of you all to post as to what you think the results were .

Barrel break in was short and sweet . Fire one / clean for 5 rounds . At the end of 5 rounds the copper was a pale blue contrasted with a brillant blue for the first round .

Fire two / clean was done in 3 rounds with the falloff of copper to a palest of blues so we went to ,

Fire 5 / clean . Only for two rounds as there was practically no copper fouling at all .

Finally went to 10 rounds and time was up . Came home and cleaned .........7 patches , squeaky clean .

Regimen for the entire break in was :

GM TEC wet patch , wait one min.
Gm TEC wet patch , wait one min.
GM TEC wet brush , 12 strokes , wait 2 mins.
Dry patch , repeat above if carbon still present.
50 BMG wet patch , wait one
50 BMG wet patch wait one
50 BMG wet brush , wait 5 mins.
Dry patch . repeat above if copper still evident
Kroil wet patch , wait 1 min then wet patch again , wait one min dry patch then slight wet patch to finish , store muzzle down ( on a nice cushion of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott called this evening to say that every time he thought about the shoot yesterday he chuckled . Myself , well , In was still smiling when I laid down to sleep .

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.