Two new Surgeon rifles

Jimm

On the way back from a Kansas pheasant hunting trip My friend Scott and I stopped at the Surgeon Rifle mfg facility outside Prague , Oklahoma.

We picked up the rifles Preston Pritchetts operation had built for us . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The actions are exquisitely made using cnc machines and a wire EDM machine to cut the bolt raceway . The picatinny rail is integral to the action and has a built in 20 moa cant . The bolt is a one piece unit , no soldered handel and it is TIaln coated and has a nice spiral fluting . The bolt release is located on the left side and is a pleasure to use . Closing the bolt makes me think of precision made bank vault doors it is so smooth and precise feeling( ask me how I know about bank vault doors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) . We plan on using them at the monthly F class shoot at Camp Robinson and of course LRhunting .

I will post here when we have had a chance to fireform some brass and do some load development . Scott already has his scope , a NXS 5.5 x 22 x56 Nightforce with the Npr 2 ret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I don't have one yet as I have limited my bank robberies to one a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif How about it Bill Bailey , you still have that 5.5x22x56 NF for sale ?

Specs : Surgeon single shot short action
Schneider bbl 7.5 twist hv 7 30"
chambered 243 AI no turn neck
Mc Millan A5 thumbwheel integral
cheekpiece
Jewell trigger

[image]
243AIs018.jpg
[/image] [image]
243AIs008.jpg
[/image] [image]
243AIs014-1.jpg
[/image] [image]
243AIs017.jpg
[/image]

Preston does make a nice action!! They'll be giving one of those away @ this springs shoot in Alex. Hmm, better get to practicing.

In about a week I should have whatever reticle your heart desires in the 2256mm. Just let me know and I'll snag one up just as soon as they get here!!

Hi Jimm,
How's it going my friend?
You have two very, very, nice rifles, i look to some shooting reports.
What "DO" you know about bank vault doors? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

They are both nice and those are some nice color schemes. I really think the integral rail is great. One less thing to get loose and cause a problem. I take, it you had it throated for some long range bullets.

I think you will enjoy F-class and the 243AI will not be too hard on the barrel.

P.S. Edit

You will love the adjustable cheekpiece.

I like em both but.....the winner is black and SS! Nice rigs that OD reminds me of days gone by some of which Id just soon forget some would do it again tommorrow!

VERY NICE VERY NICE!

Very very nice, I'd say. I especially like those bolt handles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But, hey, what's that I see in the background? Typewriter? How'd you hook it to your puter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You been awful quiet lately but I can here the gears grinding clear over here in Ideehoe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What "DO" you know about bank vault doors?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Ian , I know they open easiest if you have the combo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif other than that I plead the "fifth " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif .

Roy, that typewriter is an ancient Underwood that would likely fetch enough $ to buy the scope I need. Alas, it was my Grandfathers ,so , no can do .As for the low profile , I have been doing a lot of "gear grinding " as well as other kinds of hunting . As a matter of fact an Oryx /Gemsbok hunt in New Mexico with Scott is coming up in a coupla weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nyles , were you referring to the artic camo model as the winner ? or rather to a gun done only in black with stainless bbl.?

Bill, got any deals on a used NXS ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Remember I can only rob one bank a month ( my new years resolution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Buff, If I can find an accurate load hard against the pressure max I expect to whittle that bbl gone in 14 months or so of matches ( one match a month 80 scoring rounds per plus sighters )

I liked both Black action ss barrel was the winner....cant really tell thats winter camo ....I thought you got too close with the flash.....But I do indeed perfer that camo to that marble stuff.

Nyles ,

The artic camo photo does have a lot of flash but is very indicative of it's appearance in the flesh. That one is mine and you are the first to choose it over my friends color scheme . Some here may tell you that it is not necessarily a good thing to share my taste preferences /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Where is Free Run , Ms. ? I was born in McComb , Ms .

Jim B.

I also stopped by Preston's' shop in the fall on '06 to see his operation first hand and I agree with the cu-dos for his actions AND rifles!! I talked with him for an hour or so handling some of the guns he had made and talking with him about potential spec's for a personal build .

While talking with some of his workers he quietly slipped away and came back with the current jewel to his collection...the prototype LA in .338 Lapua. It was truly a work of art and I couldn't help but salivate. He told me he was pressed for time as he was leaving for TX the following morning to a gentleman's 3000yd range to see what the gun was capable of.

Before that though he needed to shoot some development loads for the trip. He explained the he was going to shoot a total of 5 different loads to see what would be best. They consisted of 225gr SMK Lapua Factory, 225gr SMK with RE25 and N560 and 300gr SMK with the same powder.

When asked if I would care to go with him and shoot the rifle well, you can imagine my reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!!!

I don't remember which powder was the lowest ES but it was a respectable 5fps and the 300gr was the winning bullet. I squeezed off 20 of the 25 rounds we shot and by no means would I consider myself to be and accomplished shooter but with the factory ammo I held .45" @ 100 with a 35 ES and the 300gr SMK's went about .3" Preston fired the last 5 and the group was about .2"

Anyway, the gun was a dream and I hope to add one of his masterpieces to my arsenal some day.

Gaff ,

There is another thing about the Surgeon action folks I failed to mention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif........................they are a dang nice bunch of folks !

Even though I was l;argely in the way and mostly causing them to NOT be able to get stuf done they needed to they were very accomodating and no sense of rush about them .

I have two of those 338 lapmag actions ( Surgeon XL ) on the list for Scott and I . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

[ QUOTE ]
have two of those 338 lapmag actions ( Surgeon XL ) on the list for Scott and I

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you planning on shooting some big critter such that you have needs for a big smokin fur gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.