two more inches

Depends on the barrel. Some are just faster than others from my experience. My last 7mm mag topped out at 2850 with a 160gr Accubond, one before that had no problem hitting 3000. Both were Rem 700's with factory 24's.
Tough call as you could spend a lot of $$ for little to no gain in performance, or even go backwards. Even if you did gain 100fps, is it worth the cost to gain the few extra yards?
If the rifle shoots good as is, I'd (just my personal opinion) probably leave it alone. The only reason I would swap out a barrel is to go to a faster twist for heavier/longer bullets.

would two more inches (26) give any more fps and energy than the 24 inch I have now , in a 270 wsm. is it worth a new barrel
thanks

I had a custom .224 rifle made and already had a Savage using the same cartridge. The custom had a 30" Pac-Nor while the Savage used a 26" factory barrel. From the same box of ammo the 30" barrel averaged 4,300 feet per second. The Savage trailed at 4,005 feet per second. That is a whopping 295 feet per second for only 4". Maybe the 30" was a fast barrel and the 26" was a slow barrel. I don't know.

If you have worn out the barrel I would definitely use a 26" barrel to get the all there is between those two.

Generally rifles can pick up 40-50fps per inch I've found, depending on the powders, for slower powders the longer the barrel the more time for all or most of the powder to burn increasing velocity! But when using less powder it can burn out before the end of the barrel reaching max velocity just like a rocket after its thrusters are burned out.

Also, as far as energy goes, energy is all about weight x speed. Same weight bullet going faster will have more energy, and yet a heavier bullet going slower will somtines produce the same or more energy! I have found that heavier bullets tend to carry there energy better down range!

would two more inches (26) give any more fps and energy than the 24 inch I have now , in a 270 wsm. is it worth a new barrel
thanks

When it is due for a re-barrel, yes ... until then, just enjoy it!

Also, consider a faster twist to stabilize the heavier high BC bullets. I have a 30" Lilja 1:8" for my .270 AI and currently propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.