Two more muzzle brake questions

wyomingblizzard

First question. What is the thread size on a factory weatherby mark v 340 with an acubrake?
Second question. Would a slab style or side discharge brake be more effective at reduceing muzzle jump than the factory acubrake? I am looking for options to decrease muzzle jump, to make spoting my shots easier, not to mention the dirt that the radial brake blows up. Thanks

I do not own a rifle with a break. From what I have read from other thread on here side discharge or side discharge with 3 hole on top seam to work real well to keep muzzle jump down. APS pain killer breaks for example are made that way. Just thought I would throw out a .02 answer. I will be looking for good muzzle break soon myself

A side port with top ports make shooting the big magnums much more enjoyable! My semi-custom 300 rum has a aps brake. Side ports with upper ports and it is a breeze to shoot! Very little recoil and can spot shots at 100 yards with a hot loaded 230gr pill. My sps 300rum has a vias brake and it is affective but dust and spotting of the shots aren't nearly as easy. Now with the upper ports on the brake and nothing on the bottom it forces the barrel down word Flexing the barrel. Could affect accuracy I have been told but my custom will shoot a 3 shot group as a ragged hole at 200 yards. So..

Center Shot Rifles makes the muscle brake. they are a slab or round brake with just side ports no upper ports. No barrel flex with this set up and very affective with spotting shots!

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

Slab brakes are much more affective as far as my experience goes!

First question. What is the thread size on a factory weatherby mark v 340 with an acubrake?
Second question. Would a slab style or side discharge brake be more effective at reduceing muzzle jump than the factory acubrake? I am looking for options to decrease muzzle jump, to make spoting my shots easier, not to mention the dirt that the radial brake blows up. Thanks

If you switch to a side port with hole on top type of brake you will need to cut and re-crown the barrel anyway so the new break can be indexed, so your going to be cutting off the threads and starting over so it really doesn't matter which threads you have

If you switch to a side port with hole on top type of brake you will need to cut and re-crown the barrel anyway so the new break can be indexed, so your going to be cutting off the threads and starting over so it really doesn't matter which threads you have

Why would you have to cut it off to index a brake? You index a brake by cutting the back of the brake not anything on the barrel if it is already threaded. You can get ported brakes in 9/16x24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270winshort
If you switch to a side port with hole on top type of brake you will need to cut and re-crown the barrel anyway so the new break can be indexed, so your

Why would you have to cut it off to index a brake? You index a brake by cutting the back of the brake not anything on the barrel if it is already threaded. You can get ported brakes in 9/16x24.

I wondered about that too!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.