Twist Rate for 243 AI

That is a 1/2 MOA rifle. There is a slight shift in first round POI from a cold clean bore, else it would be making bugholes. My 308 with same length 1:10 Shilen barrel is a reliable 1/4 MOA rifle if I am on form.

One more question. I am looking at a barrel manufacturers website and noticed on their chambering page two different 243 Win AI. One is the 243 win AI and the other is listed as 243 Win AI .270 neck. Can you guys please help me understand what this is referring to? I am assuming that for my purpose, (Plinking and hunting. No match shoots with this budget build), that the 243 win Ackley is what I'm after.

Last edited:
It could be a special chambering for neck turned brass. Measure the OD of your neck on current brass and compare to the listed dimension. Usually, you would be going with the "regular" 243 AI.

As stated above, the .270 neck will be a "tight neck' reamer. You will have to turn the necks to get that rifle to function properly. The tight necks usually yield a little more accuracy but neck turning is a pita. It's really up to you, another hour at the loading bench for a little more accuracy or form & shoot.

If you run Lapua brass, I would not bother with the tight neck chamber.

t

One more question. I am looking at a barrel manufacturers website and noticed on their chambering page two different 243 Win AI. One is the 243 win AI and the other is listed as 243 Win AI .270 neck. Can you guys please help me understand what this is referring to? I am assuming that for my purpose, (Plinking and hunting. No match shoots with this budget build), that the 243 win Ackley is what I'm after.

Guarantee you will need to turn Lapua necks with a .270 neck. I did. If I had another option, I wouldn't have bothered. But given what I wanted I did not.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.