Twist rate and BC question.

Trm82

So I built a 1-8" twist 270 wby to shoot 170 elites and I've played with them a bit but didn't get much time last fall to find a good load but I bought a bunch of plain old accubond 150 gr and they shoot unbelievable at 3275 fps.
I have played with the 170s this spring a bit but have never been satisfied with accuracy so I just stayed with the accubond for now.

My question is would the 1-8 twist raise the BC on 150 accubond which is only 0.500 g1 according to nosler or does that only apply to the high BC bullets which require faster twists ?
I zero at 200 yards but when shooting say 600 yards I find I have to dial back from where ballistics app are telling me to to hit target.

Twist in itself never increases BC, but can reduce loss of BC.
That is, if the bullet is rated at .500G1, that's assumed fully stable, under some atmosphere standard.
There is no higher BC gained from further than fully stable (Sg 1.5).

If you are marginally stable (Sg 1.3), then you can expect BC to take a small hit.
If barely stable (Sg 1.1) it could be a significant hit.

Applied ballistics rates the Nosler 150gr accubond LRs at .576 G1 or .295 G7.

Litz talks about it. If at all, the increase in BC going above 1.5 sg, is small enough it is usually insignificant. However, going under 1.5 Sg you'll notice BC drop off.

Applied ballistics rates the Nosler 150gr accubond LRs at .576 G1 or .295 G7.

Litz talks about it. If at all, the increase in BC going above 1.5 sg, is small enough it is usually insignificant. However, going under 1.5 Sg you'll notice BC drop off.
These are just accubonds not the LR accubond.

I saw what you wrote in the OP. I just don't see any plain 270 accubonds that are 150gr.
They exist , that's what I'm using.
I think the last time I was on nosler I don't think they were listed in the right spot.
4A57CEBD-A774-414F-A69E-A9D95D753800.png
they were under the 0.308 bullets

Last edited: