A question about correct twist rate

Brett Bracken

I have ordered all the major components for my next rifle build and am wondering if I am making a mistake on the twist rate that I ordered for my barrel. The barrel will be chambered for 300 WM with a 1:9 twist. I plan on shooting Berger 215 gr hybrids. I am currently shooting these a bullets out of a rifle with a 1:10 twist and they shoot great but thought I could enhance their accuracy with the quicker rate. Am I making a mistake?
Brett

I have ordered all the major components for my next rifle build and am wondering if I am making a mistake on the twist rate that I ordered for my barrel. The barrel will be chambered for 300 WM with a 1:9 twist. I plan on shooting Berger 215 gr hybrids. I am currently shooting these a bullets out of a rifle with a 1:10 twist and they shoot great but thought I could enhance their accuracy with the quicker rate. Am I making a mistake?
Brett

That should be a good choice for the Berger's (They tend to like twist a little faster because of their shape and body length). The main thing is not to lock yourself in to a really tight twist so if the barrel doesn't like the bullet you want to shoot, you will still have other bullet options.

A 1 in 9 twist is still not to fast for other bullets you may want to use.

J E CUSTOM

Brett
No mistake. I think that's what the 300 prc twist is.

30-338's in 1:12 twist 28" barrels burning 5 grains less powder have shot 200 grain Sierra's into 5 inch 15-shot groups at 1000 yards. I think a 1:12 twist for your 300 Win Mag is ideal for bullets up to 220 grains.

My 26" 300 Win Mag 1:13 twist barrel shot 180's and 190's into about 8 inches at 1K which ain't bad for an 8 pound hunting rifle

That should be a good choice for the Berger's (They tend to like twist a little faster because of their shape and body length). The main thing is not to lock yourself in to a really tight twist so if the barrel doesn't like the bullet you want to shoot, you will still have other bullet options.

A 1 in 9 twist is still not to fast for other bullets you may want to use.

J E CUSTOM

Brett
no all the rifles I have and have done for other in 300 win mag and the 215 hybrid are in the 1/9 twist

Brett

Hi Brett,

There are a few calculators out there. Barnes has one. Then a little help from the Green Hill formula could prove more detail. To JEs, point body and length are key in figuring twist. Also the type of bullet. It is fair to say metal(Barnes) require more twist than a Partition. I have a bunch of different pure copper bullets that expand for hunting. Both super and sonic. I went through 1 or 2 barrels until I had enough twist for a couple rifles. That is for down the road though.

My 300 and 338 Magnums, all 1-9" twist.

I appreciate all the information gentlemen and feel better about my choice. I also spoke with Bartlein yesterday and they also corroborated with most of what has been previously mentioned here. Guess I'll stick with the 9 twist.

I think I would have ordered 1:8" twist, I hate shooting any VLD slug over 175 with a 1:10" or a 1:9" twist rate.. I do not trust those twists. I have gotten better results with 1:8" but the 1:9" is significantly better than the 1:10" for 190+ grain slugs.

Brett
I agree with JE custom. Do a 9 twist. Then you can still shoot shorter bullets if you want to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.