Turret placement

sdkidaho

I'm sure this is a rookie question but I need to ask it.

I have the Vortex Viper PST. I have my rifle sighted in and I have the turrets set to zero. That's my question - should I have my elevation turret set at zero, or should that be set at one?

I zero'd in at 100 yards, so should my turret be set at one so when I dial up I'm moving up from 1 to 2 (100 to 200 yards)? So when two is on my dial I am now at 200 yards, and so on? It just seems strange to dial from zero to one and be at 200 yards, or have I just confused myself?

The way you have it is correct. where your rifle is zeroed is where the scope needs no adjustments, therefore is on zero. Moving the turret to 1, is moving the crosshairs 1minute of angle (moa) not 100yds, 2 on the turret is 2 moa, not 200yds etc

That would be correct if you were using MOA, and you would click from there to one minute and on up, on your second rotation the "0" would be interpreted as "10" minutes.

Sounds like you think you are using a BDC dial that is marked for yardage instead of minutes. On a BDC dial, if the "1" represents one hundred yards and so on, your zero of 100 yds should be set on the "1" not "0", i don't know why they would have engraved a 0 on the turret, I guess they want you to be able to dial from 0 yards to 100 yards.

Those are the two types of dials, sounds like you could be interpreting a MOA dial as yardage(BDC) dial, i don't know, you would have had to send in your load and elevation info to get a BDC dial, engraved with your specific loads yardage drops, did you do that? I don't like BDC due to their limitations and inacuracies in different conditions, they are not exact like MOA is no matter where you are. One minute does not equal 100yds, your dial has a zero on it so I'm thinking you might be confused about the setup you are using.

And that's exactly it - thanks guys. I'd been playing with a range finder and had crossed my wires on MOA vs yardage.

Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.