Scope Level Placement

Haven't seen these mentioned

Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device

scoplevel_side_view.jpg

drawing.gif

sight.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

I am mounting a level on my scope. No, I didn't buy a more expensive one that flips out, and with some of the "cheaper" ones sometimes people review that they can't see it quite as well. So it got my wheels turning, couldn't you mount it in a vertical position on the shooter side of the rifle rather than horizontally on top of the scope and have it essentially function the same way? That way, the turrets aren't in the way, and you should be able to see it alright. I don't have a angle/cosine indicator at this point so that wouldn't be in the way, but I could see where if you did, that would be a problem.

Just curious if anybody has any thought on this I guess. Thanks.

Most of mine are the the levels supplied by Holland which have an offset. Price and function are pretty good. My preference is to mount them about 1/8-1/4" in front (towards the barrel). I get excellent visibility in this position. My Flatlined flip out style works well in the same location.

I'm with Grey Fox plus Len offers the Holland Level right on this site in his store. Daryl Holland makes a fine levelling attachment, IMO.

I'm a bit different in as much as I don't mount the level in the usual spot (on the left side toward the front). My issue is I can't see it without taking my eye out of the eyebox and it's imperative that I use a level because my natural stance when shooting offhand (or against a tree for support) is to cant the rifle to the right. Maybe it's because one arm is shorter than the other, don't know honestly, but it always occurs....:D

What I do, is I mount the level on the right side, in front of the windage turret. I can dsee the bubble in that spot without leaving the eyebox so I can level the rifle and acquire an image at the same time. What works for me, may not work for you but, Len sells the Holland sciope levels right on this site and no, I'm not affiliated in any way.........:D

Where did you end up putting it? Front, rear or standing on it's ear?

I mounted it just forward of the front ring. Found that this was a good spot easily seen and out of the way of everything else. We'll see I guess. Maybe at some point I will buy a better level and then it will work better but who knows, we'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.