Scope Level Placement

mrb1982

I am mounting a level on my scope. No, I didn't buy a more expensive one that flips out, and with some of the "cheaper" ones sometimes people review that they can't see it quite as well. So it got my wheels turning, couldn't you mount it in a vertical position on the shooter side of the rifle rather than horizontally on top of the scope and have it essentially function the same way? That way, the turrets aren't in the way, and you should be able to see it alright. I don't have a angle/cosine indicator at this point so that wouldn't be in the way, but I could see where if you did, that would be a problem.

Just curious if anybody has any thought on this I guess. Thanks.

I see what you are saying. Kinda the same, but different than what I'm talking about. That answers the question about mounting it on the shooter side of the gun. Basically, mine is a fixed level, it doesn't swing or anything. So what I am thinking about doing is mounting it vertically, so technically, when I am looking at my anti cant level to make sure the bubble is correct, I would be looking at it in an up and down fashion, rather than vertically.

I think this will actually work pretty slick. I'm excited to do it. It should still work the same. Either way you have to make sure the bubble is in the middle and should yeild the same results.

The device you have posted the link to still swings out hornizontally. I am talking about it being vertical. Kinda get what I'm saying? Man, I wish I could draw a picture. It would save me a lot of wordy description hahahaha

I think I understand what your saying but if I do.............what have you bean smoking? The level has to be horizontal to give a vertical reading. if you stand the level on it's side the bubble goes to the top and that is that, useless. If it sticks out horizontal your right back to an offset level? I run the plain jain mounting solutions level in front of my rear ring and behind my turret and can see it just fine, can not read my turret from there but make any corrective adjustments on feel from the firing position anyway.

hahaha No smoking here, just curiousity. Wondering if anybody had tried it. I guess I never really thought about putting it in closer rather than far away. Chances are that I will not necessarily be right down behind the scope when I set the turrets anyways, so the visibility wouldn't be an issue at that point. I know a lot of people mount them out in front of their front ring so I guess I just thought that was where it was supposed to go. I will just have to see where it fits and works the best for me I guess.

mrb1982 has it correct and it will work. In order for the bubble to be between the lines the barrel has to be either pointing at the ground or at the moon. :D

joseph

PS: I don't like the level near the turrets because it interferes with my fingers while turning the turret in front of it. I see you can swing it away, but it gives you one more thing to worry about when you should be concentrating on your shot.

The small level was removed after the offset level on the scope tube was installed. I am able to look through the scope with my right eye while looking at the offset bubble with my left eye. And before you ask the action is right handed and is a duel port.

Attachments

• BUBBLE LEVEL .JPG
    BUBBLE LEVEL .JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 290
Most of mine are the the levels supplied by Holland which have an offset. Price and function are pretty good. My preference is to mount them about 1/8-1/4" in front (towards the barrel). I get excellent visibility in this position. My Flatlined flip out style works well in the same location.

I will just have to mount it, and see where I like or don't like it. I would agree that probably having it too close to the turrets may cause problems a little bit.

I bought a Sinclair. I know, it's a cheaper version. It has some offset. I will have to see if it is enough to be able to see or not. I have never used an anti cant device before, but I have never shot long range on a consistent basis before either. I am curious to see how much my groups will tighten by having some sort of reference to gun position.

They make high end rings with levels built in and pictani bases also with bubble built in

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.