Tungsten Core Rifle Bullets

Bismuth is actually right next to lead on the Periodic Table, so it would be similar to lead. I am guessing it is expensive.
Bismuth must not smelt well, the shot always had slag and sharp edges on it. Great for killing ducks, probably not ideal for bullet cores

I often wonder what the next evolution of bullet technology will bring. In my opinion, solid copper bullets aren't the answer in every situation. I also believe lead is going to eventually go to the wayside whether we like it or not unfortunately. I like the idea of the the powdered metal bullet cores like in the Hornady NTX and DRT bullets. However, the BC suffers because the core isn't as dense as lead and you have to make the bullet super long to make up some BC, and then that leads to its own lists of issues. The tungsten cores sound like a solid solution, but the cost would be astronomical. I think the next evolution will be some man made material that's similar to lead in density and malleability. I'm not sure what that would be or if it's cost effective or even possible.
Gold would work.

Might be a tad nervous about eating that meat! On the other hand, "glow-steaks" sound fun…
Just cut off the glowing "blood shot" meat.

Iirc, the atf (or some gvt entity) has a limit on how much "other metal" can make up bullets. Has to do with some off the wall "AP pistol rounds" issues--- hence why we don't see brass solid projos in "pistol" rounds just African big game rifle projos

Tungsten, in powder form, for bullet core swage material has been used on and off for decades. There are varied sellers that can be found online, and I still have some small amounts in the shop. I began playing with it about 40 years ago, and over a couple of decades, swaged a few different types of bullets. Powdered T will swage tightly in a jacket, but breaks up on most impacts. It worked well for high BC, weight and shorter varmint bullets that would stabilize in 1/14 and 1/12 twists were lead cores will not.

For hunting larger game, it was and can be used for base material like the MRX, Partition etc style of bullets, or inserted and swaged first in a jacket with a lead core upper 1/3-1/2. It does increase weight, BC etc, but eventually I quit using it.

Bismuth is actually right next to lead on the Periodic Table, so it would be similar to lead. I am guessing it is expensive.
Price of lead about $0.50/lb Price of Bismuth about $4.00/lb About 8 times more expensive. I have not idea how hard it is to work with Bismuth.

Last edited:
Speer 375 African Grand Slam were a tungsten solid in 300gr, tuff to stop, but not sure if they still build em
The whole line of Speer African Grand Slam solids had a tungsten core. The idea was to keep the weight up and reduce the length. It was perfect for something like a 500gr bullet in a 458 Win Mag.

It was a good idea, but those suckers were expensive!

Last edited:
That one was the MRX. Flippin expensive. It did help bc but I think moreso it allowed for something like a 180 grain lead free to not be so much longer than a 180 lead core.

Tungsten is expensive (compared to copper or lead). I suspect one might encounter regulations real fast too, it's what's used in a lot of penetrator rounds, like military application stuff, tank munitions etc….

A company, and I think it was a gimmick, called EXTREME SHOCK did this a while ago too.

If a steel core bullet is "armor piercing", a tungsten core one is more. Low hanging fruit for the antis. If someone does revisit the idea, whatever you do don't coat it in "armor piercing Teflon"🤣. They'll string you up straight away for that!
I believe Lehigh Defense currently makes these if I'm not mistaken but LE/Military only.

The US Military arsenals have tried many various metals in their bullets: steel, bismuth, tungsten, brass, bronze, lead, copper, zinc, etc. Their current armor piercing rounds use tungsten cores with copper tips and explosives to create a steel-penetrating "Plasma-Tunnel" I believe! I know of no other use of copper except for this in military ammo. Brass is also used for solid core bullets. Brass, bronze, copper, and zinc are of similar weight, and are used in many of the bullet alloys.

With everyone now talking about Solid Copper Bullets. I wanted to see about the option of Tungsten Core Bullets. It was brought up on LRH 20 years ago with very limited response.
It would be expensive replacement for lead. BC would probably be higher due to weight density. Could be used in Lead Free Areas.
Any Thoughts?????

This was tried with the Barnes MRX which never got enough of the market to be a viable product for them.

In theory it's great but the ATF has grave reservations about Tungsten cores because of their potential to be used as armor piercing rounds. I know some foreign manufacturers have been denied license to sell such bullets in the US. I'm not sure where the US based manufacturers are on trying any more of them in the future.

I may be wrong but I also believe Federal tried a tri metal bullet of some sort not too long ago which was a standard cup/core lead bullet with another high density metal, maybe tungsten as a core. As I recall that was short lived as well.