Tungsten Core Rifle Bullets

Wow. we have a PRS range and steel plates from 300 to 966yrds and never saw a bullet go threw them let alone dent them. Those BTSB bullets realty penetrate. Darn from the pictures look almost like AP bullets.
we shoot mostly target bullets 105, 140 bergers. But do have some shareholders shooting hunting bullets. I'll have to check out our plates next time I go to the range. we probably have several hundred.
I paint our steel regularly when I do Maintenace and only see "splash marks.
Thanks
for sharing those pictures.

Wow. we have a PRS range and steel plates from 300 to 966yrds and never saw a bullet go threw them let alone dent them. Those BTSB bullets realty penetrate. Darn from the pictures look almost like AP bullets.
we shoot mostly target bullets 105, 140 bergers. But do have some shareholders shooting hunting bullets. I'll have to check out our plates next time I go to the range. we probably have several hundred.
I paint our steel regularly when I do Maintenace and only see "splash marks.
Thanks
for sharing those pictures.
You're welcome. I have no knowledge of what the steel was. It was set up by someone else. The 190s were also going a bit over 3200'sec at the muzzle

It is. Except there wasn't that much of it in the bullet. It likely would not have had as high of a specific gravity than the Hornady. 90% of the MRX was copper which is considerably lower than jacketed lead. The smaller percentage of tungsten would not have made a bullet that is normally 8.89 equal the 10.7 jacketed lead has.
Looks like the SD is slightly higher of the HRN 190 BTSP than the 180 TSX.

1641947787603.png

This is mild steel. It is not AR-500 or similar. I see it often bullets will make huge craters or blow right through mild steel.

I know for lead free shotgun, one company offers Bismuth shot. I know nothng about them.

Speer 375 African Grand Slam were a tungsten solid in 300gr, tuff to stop, but not sure if they still build em

I don't think we will see a non toxic core bullet until enough people admit they aren't that happy with the performance of the existing options and more states adopt lead free hunting restrictions(its coming, powerful lobby groups like bha are all for it). As it is now, many people on the forums I frequent will sing the praise of lead free bullets BEFORE killing anything with them. Typical response along the lines of "they were so easy to load for and they were in stock..."