Tungsten Core Rifle Bullets

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
With everyone now talking about Solid Copper Bullets. I wanted to see about the option of Tungsten Core Bullets. It was brought up on LRH 20 years ago with very limited response.
It would be expensive replacement for lead. BC would probably be higher due to weight density. Could be used in Lead Free Areas.
Any Thoughts?????

Didn't the original Barnes LRX bullets have a tungsten insert in the rear to help raise BC?

That one was the MRX. Flippin expensive. It did help bc but I think moreso it allowed for something like a 180 grain lead free to not be so much longer than a 180 lead core.

Tungsten is expensive (compared to copper or lead). I suspect one might encounter regulations real fast too, it's what's used in a lot of penetrator rounds, like military application stuff, tank munitions etc….

A company, and I think it was a gimmick, called EXTREME SHOCK did this a while ago too.

If a steel core bullet is "armor piercing", a tungsten core one is more. Low hanging fruit for the antis. If someone does revisit the idea, whatever you do don't coat it in "armor piercing Teflon"🤣. They'll string you up straight away for that!

I often wonder what the next evolution of bullet technology will bring. In my opinion, solid copper bullets aren't the answer in every situation. I also believe lead is going to eventually go to the wayside whether we like it or not unfortunately. I like the idea of the the powdered metal bullet cores like in the Hornady NTX and DRT bullets. However, the BC suffers because the core isn't as dense as lead and you have to make the bullet super long to make up some BC, and then that leads to its own lists of issues. The tungsten cores sound like a solid solution, but the cost would be astronomical. I think the next evolution will be some man made material that's similar to lead in density and malleability. I'm not sure what that would be or if it's cost effective or even possible.

I have used some of the DRT they shot very well never tried them on an animal though I still have some might have to dig them out and try them on a pig or two

With everyone now talking about Solid Copper Bullets. I wanted to see about the option of Tungsten Core Bullets. It was brought up on LRH 20 years ago with very limited response.
It would be expensive replacement for lead. BC would probably be higher due to weight density. Could be used in Lead Free Areas.
Any Thoughts?????
I used tungsten for waterfowl hunting. It was very expensive but it killed as well as lead. So far there is no cheap replacement for lead. And it's hard to balance the copper for the same ductile characteristics of lead, and yet not foul badly. In loose terms and descriptions if the copper doesn't foul bad it's harder and measures have to be taken allow for better expansion. If softer you can get good expansion at lower velocities, but accuracy can suffer if it fouls bad. Also BC's come into play it the bullet is going to be used long range. That's where polymer tip come into play. They can improve BC's and help with expansion. My overly simplistic thoughts on the subject.

I often wonder what the next evolution of bullet technology will bring. In my opinion, solid copper bullets aren't the answer in every situation. I also believe lead is going to eventually go to the wayside whether we like it or not unfortunately. I like the idea of the the powdered metal bullet cores like in the Hornady NTX and DRT bullets. However, the BC suffers because the core isn't as dense as lead and you have to make the bullet super long to make up some BC, and then that leads to its own lists of issues. The tungsten cores sound like a solid solution, but the cost would be astronomical. I think the next evolution will be some man made material that's similar to lead in density and malleability. I'm not sure what that would be or if it's cost effective or even possible.
We'll realize our childhood sci fi fantasy's and have handheld weapons-grade laser cannons one day haha. Of course it'll be really boring. Wind? Hold dead on, doesn't matter. Distance? Hold dead on doesn't matter. Moving target? Hold dead on doesn't matter. Instead of Kevlar and ceramic plates our soldiers and officers will just wear reflective clothing and slather on spf 50000 sunscreen!

There are some high density plastics that might work with some r&d commitment from a bullet maker. And I suppose one of these days leadwill be banned enough places to push companies to get more cheap materials to work.
I've made a few plastic bullets with my casting molds. With a pinch of grits or cream of wheat under the bullet, they shot fine with red dot.

Tungsten and steel cored bullets will get in hot water if u ever had to explain yourself in court...

GOLD is simular to LEAD. Just look at the Periodic Table of Elements! I am sure you could get a great BC with GOLD.