Tubbs FF on Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 Win.

zupatun

Just finished the last 10 (used #'s 2-5, did not shoot the 1's) rounds of the 175gr 30 call bullets through my Tikka today. Used 41.5gr of Varget. I have about 140 rounds of 165gr IB's with 44.5gr of Varget loaded up and will see how they do out of newley "polished" barrel tomorrow.

Although the Tubbs load wasn't supposed to be accurate, the groups got tighter with each higher number (smaller grit) bullet in the Tubbs system.

The last ten shot group #5's had about a 0.5" vertical dispersion and about a .81" horizontal dispersion--basically about the best I think I an hold the **** thing still...I think the gun still out-shoots me--I have about a 0.5moa heartbeat...

Good news is I only left about 1.5 minutes max between shots (started with fouler -- one of my handloads was dead on center of target). Barrel heat up decreased with each set of bullets. Cleaning was worst in the first two sets. The Tubb's load was exactly 2" lower than my handload.

Previous groups of Tubb's averaged about 1.5" in Dia. Most of my 3 shout groups previously were in the 1" range and every now and then I'd shoot well enough to get about 0.5-0.75" range. Trying to see what things look like at 100 yds and 300yds tomorrow. Best groups at 300 yards have been about 4.5" to 6.5" (again, I'm just a poor shooter mainly, but we'll see how things go tomorrow).

Anyhow, my camera is in my backpack with my hunting gear which is at home, so I won't have any pictures until Friday at earliest.

Matt Roth

Reason I'm doing this is I'm a little bored and can't hunt during the week. Also, I'd like to do some F-class shoots at Quantico in the coming year and I don't have the cash to get one of Kirby or Sean's beautiful rifles (you guys are a factory right?...) and go out west to hunt them big deer...

For what it's worth, I'm interviewing in DC in the next week or so for a couple of jobs. One would be working with the Army (PEO Soldier I believe) to develop, improve and maintain personal and weapons mounted optics. It's a half step over from what I'm doing now, and I'd love to see what I can do to improve what our soldiers are using (lighter, faster, more reliable, powerful all the good adjectives...maybe even a little cheaper). Wish me luck.

Matt

P.S. Weekend in Virginia netted exactly zero deer in the scope...saw no fur in GWNF out past Front Royal...spent turkey day in Tennessee with my Family.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.