Results from Tubbs FF kit

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Robinhood493, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Robinhood493

Robinhood493 Well-Known Member

I just finished doing the FF kit on my .300rum and my .270. I thought I had shot the barrel out on the .300 rum, but the kit restored its accuracy. The kit performed exactly as described. My groups were in the 1/2" range, and then it moved to the 1 1/2" range after about 400 rounds down the tube. I could feel the throat was very rough when trying to clean the gun, and I could feel tight spots in the barrel. After the kit, it feels very smooth from chamber to muzzle, and it cleans out in less than 10 min with Boretech Eliminator. My groups are also in the 3/8"-1/2" range again. Now the .270 on the other hand performed different. It was about a 1" group gun from the beginning and was somewhat easy to clean. After the Tubbs kit, it turned into a 1/2" grouping gun, but it is now a copper mine. After 20 shots, about 6" of the muzzle is solid copper that is very hard to clean out. I can feel that the roughness is still there in the barrel. It even feels rougher than before I used the Tubbs kit. What could have happened here? I followed the instruction to the T, just like in my .300rum.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Is the accuracy still there in the 270 even though it has copper fouling?

3. Robinhood493

Yes, accuracy improved, just now the bore feels rougher and it copper fouls bad bad.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

What bullet?

5. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

Your asking does the accuracy drop off after a # of rounds fired? I was wondering that.

6. Robinhood493

Nosler Partition 130g, same as I was using before.

7. Robinhood493

It took 5 fouler rounds to get the groups to settle down. Before it took only 3 rounds. The accuracy is still there after 20 rounds fired. I did not shoot more than that. As far as the accuracy, it seems like its fine. The kit improved it. The only thing im worried about is that it copper fouls bad now, and the bore feels rougher when cleaning when it should have been very smooth.

8. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

Why don't you clean it good and shoot a few Hornady GMX rounds and see if it builds up less cause it is harder than Barnes TTSXs and MIGHT be harder than your Nosler Partition 130g jackets are? Useless info. here, lightbulbI have also learned that you don't mix bullet mfgr. when doing an evaluation, clean to the shine before you go to a different bullet.
    Good luck.

9. Joe King

wonder if the burnishing bullets didn't polish the bore in your rifle, seems odd but it's about the only thing I can think of. You didn't used a bore polish of any kind to clean twards the end of the kit did did you?

10. Robinhood493

Nope, I followed the instructions. The only thing I used was Boretech with a nylon brush and patches followed by cu+2 to be sure I got all traces of copper out. He says that the first 20 rounds does 70% of the work and I would see a reduction in cleaning effort. I never experienced this.

11. WapitiBob

WapitiBob Well-Known Member

I think you're looking for a problem that doesn't exist. My gun takes 3 shots to re group if I just run a dry patch thru it. I don't touch it.

12. sendero72

sendero72 Well-Known Member

I tried Tubbs final finish also in my 243. I was shooting a 105 amax with good accuracy but very difficult to clean. Now it's not not all that hard to clean, but the accuracy has gone to hell in a hat basket. Can't get a the 95gr BT to either!

13. Joe King

well barring that the burnishing bullets polished your bore (not sure they would do that) I wanted to eliminate that you didn't polish it, so since you haven't hell may try just shooting it till the accuracy falls off, and just keep count of rounds fired.

14. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

But you really don't know what the bore looks like because you can't see in there......

I quit going by 'feel' some time ago.:D