Tubb Final Finish Bore Lapping System Questions

barnesuser28

Has anyone used this kit in a 338 Lapua? Our savage 338 Lapua fouls badly after about 10 shots so im hoping this will speed up the cleaning process and maybe improved accuracy.

what's the finish of the bore look like, how many rounds down the tube? Is it still holding it's accuracy fine?

The TMS kit (throat maintenance system) could be an option. I bought the FF kit in 7mm, and ran 1/2 of the 3 finest grits down the Douglass barrel on my 7mag, and all the rest down the barrel of my daughters 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 the barrel looked like a file it's way better now and it did help with accuracy, the 7mag always shot very well, but took several days to clean, now it takes all of a 1/2hr and still shoots great(maybe even slightly better) I wouldn't touch a hand lapped barrel with it though unless it's got a lot of rounds through it and your trying to get a few more rounds out of it before a rebarrel.

Riley,

On my 270 AM, when the throat went to pot I used the complete final finish process. Immediately restored accuracy. . . for about 50 shots. :rolleyes: The first couple of inches of rifling are simply not there. She was rode hard and put up wet for about 900 rounds.

On my 338 RUM which started out as a 338 Win Mag (got a $40.00 unfired 338 RUM take off barrel from Kirby) I ran half of the FF bullets through it in the proper. However, I did not use the most course bullets.

My only regret is that I was impatient enough to not shoot some loads prior to the FF process.

The rifle shoots as good as the ones I got from Kirby. After 20 or so shots an overnight Wipeout and 3 patches she's clean. Only a slight blue color on the first patch.

I've followed the first patch with Warthog II to validate copper removal. The Wipeout got it all.

There are those that use only the finer FF bullets even on new hand lapped barrels.

I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go but wouldn't use the coarsest set of bullets. They say that only 0.0004" are removed with the full meal deal, if I remember right. I have no way of verifying that.:D

Good luck.

BTW, the best bullet all the way around for that thing has gotta be the 300 Berger.:)

Joe: there are just under 200 rounds down the tube, the bore looks shiny but if i look close and see some small pits, i havent checked to see howmany rounds it will go before it losses accuracy because i generally try not to shoot more than 12 rounds per session, they dont make the TMS in 338, also it is the factory barrel, it takes a day and a half to clean it with Bore Tech Eliminator.

Roy: I think i will run all but the most coarse set of bullets, i read on midwayusa that it removes .0003, if the 300 grain Berger handels my torture test then i will switch to them, as for know ill be shooting the 280 grain LRX.

PS: its not the bullets fault for the fouling because it fouls just as bad with the 285 grain Hornady BTHP

Now does anyone know where i can find some? Midway is out until december, and i couldnt find them anywhere else. Thanks for any help, ill keep looking.

Roy, do you recall what the bullet weight was for .338 cal?

Thanks Roy, based on the pics on midway i figured it was a 250 grain SGK.

Tubb's website has the 338 FF bullets instock incase anyone else is looking for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.