Tubb final finish

grpolarbear

Does anyone have any experience with this product/procedure.The barrel of my savage 110 has reamer feed marks and seems to foul quickly.Thank You for your opinions.GRBP

I used a partial (didn't shoot all Tubbs bullets) through a new rem 338 barrel to smooth it out a bit.

From this experience and the experience of others around here, I'd strongly consider the Tubbs Final Finish on any new Win/Savage/Rem barrel.

Though I'd never use it on a new custom barrel........

I use it for break-in of all barrels including custom.
Reamer born edges form in any barrel, and that's what I smooth/settle out.

FF will reduce copper fouling greatly in barrels bad for this. Unless used too much... Don't do this, or fouling will return due to polishing.
At that point the barrel would have to be lapped to roughen it back up.
Basically, too smooth is as bad or worse than too rough(for copper).

Custom barrelmakers lap to a perfect finish for minimal copper. But 10 FF bullets doesn't hurt this(doesn't help either). And, the FF bullets do quickly break down edges left from chambering.

Every now & then I load one or two FF bullets just to square up retreating throat a bit.

I have used this system and it works real good but make sherr you get the barrel completly clean between every 5 shoot string. I did one barrel and didint lessons learned

I have written extensive posts on this product. Try running a search for them.

In short, it's fantastic stuff for rough barrels. I'm actually going to load some up for one of my old 6ppc barrels this week.

Many thanks

My suspicions were that this would be helpful,but there are a lot of folks selling snake oil out there.I,ve decided to halt my load development until I can smooth up this bore some.It,s fouling up to the point where I think its affecting pressures and its a pain to clean,Takes too long to do it right in the field.I thank all of You for your wisdom and generosity with it.GRPB

Tubbs product works as advertised, can't say that about every product on the market. The short answer is I don't know about the product that you mentioned, but my feeling is why not use the Tubbs product since it has a great reputation for doing it's job perfectly?

It has worked very well for me. I recently bought a M700VS in 308 & of course the bore is rough & is a copper factory. The M700 rifle, esp. in the Sendero "type" platform is one of my
favorite factory rifles & it may be the luck of the draw for me, but they seem to foul alot even when they are shooters. In my mind FF is just part of the purchase with these rifles.

I just tried Tubbs Final Finish on my Savage 116 with acceptional results. I started with baseline groups with 2 different loads. Hornady light Magnums with 165 grain Interbonds and 165 grain Remington core lokts. T
Before the Tubbs process the light mags grouped at 1 1/4" and velocity was 2947 fps. Core lokts grouped at 2 3/4" and registered 2812 FPS. I then cleaned the barrel and fired 5 each of the five different Tubbs compounds. I cleaned the rifle every 5 rounds. After the Tubbs bullets I cleaned the barrel and refired the Light mag and corelokt rounds with the following results.

The Light mags grouped 7/8" inches and clocked a surprising 3018 FPS. The Core Lokt rounds grouped 1 1/8" and I could not get the velocities as my chrony errored out and I could not reset it because the range had just switched targets and it was getting dark. The velocities are from a 22" barrel and the velocities increased by 71 fps. It seemed to clean up alot easier after the last 6 rounds also.

Disregard the 3018 fps above the F1 chrony was set up wrong. I went back today and clocked 2798 with the corelokt and 2951 with the light magnums. The groups were right around 1" and cleaning is definately easier. I feel this system worked as advertised.

I tried it on two rifles. On one, a Remington 700 STS, it made no difference whatsoever. On another, a Ruger 77, it improved the groups a bit and made it easier to clean.

I imagine you get the same results with the old shoot-and-clean break in. The Tubbs system just seems faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.