TTSX jump

Good morning guy's, I have an H&S precision rifle in 7mm rem mag that is behaving poorly with 160gr Partitions and h4831sc. I had acquired some 140gr Barnes TTSX to try with Rel22. Looking to get an idea on where to start with on bullet jump from the lands (I've never played with Barnes solids before) . It seems these like a healthy jump from what I've researched so far.
Try the 180 grn Partitions.

Hey my young friend!
You have received so much accurate information I might sound redundant. Up until 2006 I only loaded Nosler Partitions for hunting. Switched to TSX and TTSX that year for a new custom 270WSM and it loved RL22 in the Lilja Barrel. 50 thousanths off worked. Then managed to find a Kimber of Oregon in 7 RM and it loved 140 TTSX and RL22. Tried 50 thousand off and worked like a dream. My NULA showed up this week in 284 win and it will start and end with 140 TTSX and RL 19

TSX in 375HH, 9.3x62, and 9.3x74R with RL 15.

I shoot about 8000 Berger's per year in Fclass but after seeing several animals ruined by them,will never guide or call game for anyone using them on anything but paper.

You are on the correct track with TTSX and RL22.
PS, RL 19 and a 168 TSX is a pretty handy and accurate in 30-06.

Seating depth makes a big difference with these bullets. I've seen very good accuracy with the 140 TTSX BT in a 7mm Rem Mag. Sendero and a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart New Ultra Light Arms. I use H4831 in both. I always try three depths initially and go from there. However, this bullet and other Barnes bullets don't always have to be seated far off the lands for best accuracy; depends on the rifle.

I love Barnes bullets but I hate rl22. Yes it's a great powder in many cartridges but man does it slow down alot when it gets cold out. Lots of other powders that work as good and don't have the temp issues. Someone said they didn't have luck with Barnes on deer. Did you kill the deer. If you hit it in any spot that other bullets work in it will work. Everytime. No they don't explode a few inches in and make soup. But they expand and drive through every time. Hit bone in keeps on going. They don't get alot of blood shot meat either. Never had a deer get more that 20 steps from where it was hit. My favorite one is the 130 ttsx in 30 cal. Makes a great deer round in the 300wsm. Lighter recoil and very flat shooting to 500 yard's. 3400 fps with the 130 is a good one. The Barnes are great for rifles with short magazines because it does love to jump. Wsms on short actions or saums on short actions work great with Barnes. I've only shot deer with them but don't think it would have any problem on any game animals.
Shep

Good morning guy's, I have an H&S precision rifle in 7mm rem mag that is behaving poorly with 160gr Partitions and h4831sc. I had acquired some 140gr Barnes TTSX to try with Rel22. Looking to get an idea on where to start with on bullet jump from the lands (I've never played with Barnes solids before) . It seems these like a healthy jump from what I've researched so far.
I shoot a 7mm and also couldn't get partitions to shoot, I went to 160gr AccuBond in front of 69gr of RL 25 and the bullet .005 off the lands and now shoots sub MOA. My rifle didn't like Barnes eother

I am a little confused with your post. From the HSPrecision website, the rifle is advertised to shoot 1/2moa from the factory. I would think that communicating with them would give you a good idea of what they tested in the rifle that produced that type of accuracy and start from there to solve the poorly shooting load. I have tried to shoot Nosler partitions out of my 7 mag, but have never found them to be stellar performers even though they shot well enough to harvest game at short range. I found 168 and 180 grain Bergers to give long range accuracy. But even that said, you paid for a 1/2 moa rifle, HS Precision should be able to give you something reasonable to work with.
i am a little confused by your post. HS Pecision website claims the rifle to shoot 1/2 moa before shipping to the customer. They should be able to tell you what load they tested and give you the moa results. That is what you paid for. I have shot Nosler 160 grain partitions out of my 7 mag and they were not stellar shooters but would be sufficient to kill game at short ranges. 168 or 180 grain Bergers do well at long range. There again, I would ask HS Precision for a starting point.

Don't forget about trying 160 accubonds. We just went on a Nilgai hunt awhile back and it was a one shot one kill at 265yds. Smacked right at point of the shoulder and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Attachments

• D80A8CFA-41EC-4F7F-A004-70FDA4B35C98.jpeg
    D80A8CFA-41EC-4F7F-A004-70FDA4B35C98.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 149
I shoot a 28 nosler. I started out trying the barns 168 lrx could not get them to shoot. Went to the 150 ttsx that seemed to be the ticket for me I'm at 55 off the lands

My own experience has led to a standard practice in which I only experiment with getting real close to
the lands if I cannot find accuracy with a "normal" amount of jump. I never preemptively start load development anywhere close to the rifling. Starting near or on the lands is a great way to learn how stupid a person feels blowing primers at under-book-max loads that should have been fine to start with. When I was newer to reloading vld bullets, while nothing new of course, were really catching on, all the rage, and for hunting too! Vlds do generally shoot best while kissing the lands but the "wisdom" cleaned from this by many and repeated online was that the same would be true for other bullet designs, that the less jump the better, that the goal was to get as close as possible, that rifles with freebore would never be as capable of fine accuracy as rifles without...it's not the case. If you're shooting vlds or other ultra-high bc, slippery contour, long boat tail, little bearing surface bullets then yes, to lands we go! For everything else I've found there's little benefits and lots of potential downsides to this practice. If I don't feel like spending lots of time fiddling and tinkering for accuracy I typically just load a Nosler ballistic tip/accubond or a flat base hornady interlock to max book length and a grain under book max and more often than not can't complain, at all.

Id start .1. They like jump In my experience. I usually load a .08 .1 and .12 then fine tune from there with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.