TTSX bullets and jump

chad

Who shoots them and do they like a big jump or do they like the lands?

Also do they like to be pushed hard with a max load or not?

I loaded them in my 06 jumped them and had them at max load. They grouped real good for the effort I put into the load. I didn't mess with the seating depth (set to recommended) and I only put together a couple of loads at the max end. They shot under 3/4" with no tuning. I decided on a different load so I didn't follow up on them.

I have shot them in a number of different guns. Almost all have shot them very well. Barnes supplies you with instructions and they tell you to start 50 thousands off the lands. You can move them closer or further away from the lands. Most of the time I have found that 50 thousand works well, but if it does not I move them further away. Also in my experience they like max or near max loads.

My magazine doesn't let me reach the lands so I start at max mag length and work my way deeper into the case in .040", 6 shot strings for a rough seating depth test. In my gun, longest seating depth produces the worst groups.

Who shoots them and do they like a big jump or do they like the lands?

Also do they like to be pushed hard with a max load or not?

In my WSM I used the Barnes COAL which is a decent jump for my rifle. Plus, I couldn't go any longer due to magazine length.

I ended up below max for my best group. When I got to max, they started opening up. 5/8" at 100yds was my best group from a stock gun.

My magazine doesn't let me reach the lands so I start at max mag length and work my way deeper into the case in .040", 6 shot strings for a rough seating depth test. In my gun, longest seating depth produces the worst groups.

If the powder is stable at your selected charge it will be quicker to work up ( deeper ) in .003" increments where you will find sweet spot within .020" in most all cases.

Big jump and push them hard.

I'm with the big jump crowd as much as you can get. I have loaded the tsx in 3 rifles and all have been lightly crimped in the shortest channel. Accuracy has been excellent once I found a powder and primer combo.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

If the powder is stable at your selected charge it will be quicker to work up ( deeper ) in .003" increments where you will find sweet spot within .020" in most all cases.

I'm working up a load right now for a 338 Win Mag with some Barnes 225 gr. TTSX. I started by finding a rough seating depth my rifle liked. I start a couple grains under listed max. 6 shot groups.
1) C.O.L. @ 3.330" = 2-1/3" group (erratic grouping)
2) C.O.L. @ 3.290" = 1-1/2" group (5 of 6 shots were fairly tight)
3) C.O.L. @ 3.250" = 2-1/4" group (fairly tight diagonal string with one major flyer)
My load development begins with #2 seating depth because it was noticeably tighter than the others.

Next I look for the optimal charge weight (OCW) for that powder/seating depth combination. This method works well for me. OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System. Edit: I find my "Max Charge Weight" before my OCW Test.

I find my "max charge" for that powder and seating depth combination by loading a single shot in 1% grain increments (that's about 1% of the general listed max charge. In this case, it was .6 grain increments.) until I see the beginning signs of pressure and back off to the next lowest charge as my max load. I then find my OCW. I work up about six or seven, 3-shot loads in 1% increments, up to my max charge. I shoot at 100 yards. I go 2 to 3 minutes between shots and 15 to 20 minutes between strings, depending on how hot it is outside, to let the barrel cool down (factory barrel). With this OCW test, your not necessarily looking for tight groups (read the instructions in the link). Although you may get your perfect load right away, you can fine tune with minor seating depth adjustments and/or primers.

Rough Seating Depth Test = 18 shots.
Max Charge Weight Test = 5 shots or so.
OCW Test = 18 to 21 shots or so. I found it in the first 9 shots.
Total shots for load development = 40 to 50 shots or so.
Results = .6", 3-shot group but I pushed one to the right or it would be better.

In my case, had I not found the rough seating depth first, where the rifle liked to shoot that bullet, I'd still be struggling.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.