7MM STW and 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by steelersfan, Oct 14, 2009.

1. steelersfan

steelersfan Member

Has anyone used the Barnes 140gr TTSX bullets in the 7MM STW. I have been using the Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tip and when I purchased the Barnes bullets the owner of the gunshop mentioned that for the best accuracy he had heard that the seating depth had to be changed so there was a jump to the rifling. I have been using H1000 with my ballistic tips and have been seating them just off the rifling. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. It looks like it would be a good bullet to use even though I never had any problems with the Ballistic Tips out to 600 yards, might be a case of trying to improve a really good load.

2. Kiwi Nate

Kiwi Nate Well-Known Member

The Barnes website lists their proposed ideal seating depths for the TSX and during the course of my own research. I would agree. I can't rember what the jump is but it was somewhere between 30 and 40 thou which is not a great deal. Accuracy with the TSX is usually very good but as usual, inividual rifles will give varied results. I have used the 140 grain Barnes in the &mmRM and 7mmRUM. Even pitted it against the .375 H&H loaded with conventional 270-300 grain bullets. The Barnes out did the big bullets- no surprises there I suppose.

You will most likely find that the Barnes is a little too stout for lean bodied deer out beyond 250 yards or so- best for tough or rather densly muscled animals.

3. wadevb1

wadevb1 Well-Known Member

I shot a few boxes of the 140 TSX/TTSX from my STW and started load developement with .040 jump. That has worked for my in their 257 and 30 cal line as well.