Try this on for size!

The 40-65 generally shoots a 1-16 twist and I'm using a 1-14.5 that would be standard for a 40-82. I can get the long range style bullets stabalized out for long range and the newer bullet designs need a little more twist.

I believe the standard for the 45 cals is 1-18.

The faster you drive the bullets you can get away with slower twists farther but in a 1-16 the 40-65 will destabalize with a few bullets at 1000yrds. Remember all these bullets go sub sonic earlier so there are bullet that work better in the transonic region and some that get stablized better.

The 40-65 generally shoots a 1-16 twist and I'm using a 1-14.5 that would be standard for a 40-82. I can get the long range style bullets stabalized out for long range and the newer bullet designs need a little more twist.

I believe the standard for the 45 cals is 1-18.

The faster you drive the bullets you can get away with slower twists farther but in a 1-16 the 40-65 will destabalize with a few bullets at 1000yrds. Remember all these bullets go sub sonic earlier so there are bullet that work better in the transonic region and some that get stablized better.

Sorry for so many questions, but do you think you can show us some of the bullets with weight to see what type of bullet are used? Do you use lead bullets, copper jacketed? Bullets with gas checks so that they can be pushed a little harder?

Tank

The bullets we cast out of lead, no copper and we use some kind of wad or card under the bullet. My dad and father in law are playing with paper patch bullets also which is cool but work to get the bullets patched and everything.

I do just enough to be dangerous, my dad and father in law are main line addicts.
I'll try to get some pics, I owe some to bigbuck also.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of some .45 paper patch I cast and patched a while back.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/Hotplatetodrywetpatch.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/BPCR%20Groups/68999d9b.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR SHOOTING RELOADING/BPCR Groups/68999d9b.jpg

This is a target I shot a while back with my .50/90 C. Sharps from 1000 yds. Was using a 710 gr. Elliptical bullet with 114 grs. Swiss 1F. This is a plain base all-lead bullet that I cast myself. Target is the NRA LR bull that measures 44" diameter with a 20" ten ring! The inner plate shown is ten ring size. This rifle is one of the most accurate rifles that I own.
Hotplatetodrywetpatch.jpg

Last edited:
Paper patch bullets just look right!!! Very nice shooting, we're working on getting most of the shots on the bull and that just makes us look sad!

My dad is most likely going over your pics with a magnifying glass right now so I ask the question, what is that you have the patched bullets on, kinda looks like some kind of iron being plugged in, my dad and father in law are starting down the paper patch road. We're shooting a 40-65, 45-70, and a couple 40 cal Sharps bottle necks.

Last edited:
bigngreen

That's a hot plate! Actually it's an RCBS heat plate for putting under the bottom of an RCBS lube sizer. In cold weather lube doesn't want to flow without heating it so this is for the purpose of heating the lube. I use it for drying the patched bullets. I 'wet patch' and then place the bullet base down on the heat plate and the patches dry with a very flat base! Works great!

Last edited:
bigngreen

That's a hot plate! Actually it's an RCBS heat plate for putting under the bottom of an RCBS lube sizer. In cold weather lube doesn't want to flow without heating it so this is for the purpose of heating the lube. I use it for drying the patched bullets. I 'wet patch' and then place the bullet base down on the heat plate and the patches dry with a very flat base! Works great!

That would be a neat process to see.

Tank

Here's a shot of some .45 paper patch I cast and patched a while back.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/Hotplatetodrywetpatch.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/BPCR%20Groups/68999d9b.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR SHOOTING RELOADING/BPCR Groups/68999d9b.jpg

This is a target I shot a while back with my .50/90 C. Sharps from 1000 yds. Was using a 710 gr. Elliptical bullet with 114 grs. Swiss 1F. This is a plain base all-lead bullet that I cast myself. Target is the NRA LR bull that measures 44" diameter with a 20" ten ring! The inner plate shown is ten ring size. This rifle is one of the most accurate rifles that I own.
Hotplatetodrywetpatch.jpg

This is all new to me . Can you tell us what the over all length of these bullets are ? They look huge in the pics.

Great shooting .

Do you have to play with seating depth like any other bullet? What type of tools are required to seat the bullet into the case? How does the patch stay putt on the bullet while being seated?

Tank

Do you have to play with seating depth like any other bullet? What type of tools are required to seat the bullet into the case? How does the patch stay putt on the bullet while being seated?

Tank

Seating depth? The bullet is only seated roughly .125" to .140" into the mouth of the case! The patched diameter of my bullets are .450" to .451" so the majority of the bullet is up into the bore! When BP ignites...totally different from smokeless powder...the bullet upsets to match the bore...the patch rides on the bore and lands and lead never touches the interior of the barrel....so there are NO LEADING issues!

Seating the bullet? I do that by hand and then run the bullet up into a TCD aka Taper Crimp Die for a VERY VERY LIGHT crimp! The bullet may rotate in the case by hand but it will not fall out! The TCD DOES NOT put a crimp like used on revolver pistol bullets! It's a TAPER CRIMP! If the upper edge of the case were crimped inward...that would tear the patch which is a NO NO!!

As stated earlier...I WET PATCH! I dampen the patches on a sponge of DISTILLED WATER....roll the patch which has been pre-cut to length/width and which has a 60* angle cut on each end. I roll the patches on a 'patching board' I made with a thin piece of leather glued to the surface! Some shooters patch dry....I prefer wet as it just makes a cleaner looking bullet IMO!

Go here for some reading:

My REAL webpage

OK call me dumb but I've read the posts and think I'm confused. Is the white paper looking roll the bullets sitting on, the patch and if so then how is the bullet seated in the case if it's on top of the paper roll?

Take a look at this photo! The bullet IS WRAPPED with TWO WRAPS of a patch as shown here! The patch is OVER-LAPPED the base and folded over as shown in this photo! It is then HAND SEATED INTO THE CASE and the base of the bullets sits on what's called and OVER POWDER WAD!

image3711.jpg

Thanks Sharpsman, I think I got it. Looks like the bullet sits inside the wrap rather than on top. Do you live anywhere near Monroe?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.