trying for a 900yd dog this evening

James Jones

We have a rouge dog on our lease thats getting increasingly bothersome , he has been shot a couple times with shot guns but failed to kill so now he is very spooky of humans and any attemps to catch up withim have failed so we have baited him the past few dweeks and this evening I'm gonna try to snipe him with the new 260. I have setup a little position to shoot from and have seen him from here twice , both times he cought my scent and new I was around but wasen't to worried.
So today at supper time he's gonna gave a 140gr A-max flying his way.

report to come later

Well we are now minus one trouble dog , he showed up right on time at a lazered 837yds and started circling the pan of scraps we put out , I dialed in for 800yds but the crosshairs just under his back line and squeezed. At the shot he flipped ove backwards got up tried to run and fell again. He was standing almost broadside as the trigger broke yet the bullet hit him through the front shoulder exiting just in front of the back side rear leg with a quarted size hole , I guess he had moved as the gun went off.
the 140gr A-max did a very good job in killing this animal which weighed around 60-70lbs , the bullet traveled about 24-30" through the dog after breaking the front shoulder. I diden't cut him open to to see what kind of damage but I do know that the front shoulder was crushed as were several of the ribs.

I only had my cell phone to take pics and they sucked in the low light.

Good job those feral dogs can cause lots of trouble and usually they start packing up. They are worse than coyotes

I get the same problem out in the country where I live. The old farmer that owns the land behind me asks me to shoot any stray dogs I see in his pastures. One day a few summers back I popped 10 out of a pack of about a dozen. They had no idea what was going on. I just shoot them and let'em lay, he picks them up. I kinda feel bad for them...kinda. People drop dogs off by our house all the time. Sometimes we see them and I will take out after them and at least turn their vehicle tag number into the Sheriff's department. They get a healthy fine and possible criminal charges. My wife and neighbor feed them to keep them from killing calves or getting in the trash cans, but they get thick and I have to thin them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.