Truing/working over a Rem700 LA

I have and had a few Rem 700's. A 308 that was amazing. A 6mm Rem that was good. Still have 243 that is good. Best ever is a 2004 300 RUM . With factory barrel and handloads I had a few loads that would go from 3/8 in to 1/2 grps. Ctr. To Ctr. 5 shots. I had and have no problem with that. I hunt. No competition. 2 years ago I had a 28 in. Bartlien 5R 1 in 10 twist varmint contour barrel installed. Action tried. Bigger recoil lug. Better firing pin spring a cerakoted. Found s load with 215 Berger that shot great. Had a CDS dial made for it. Done deal. No more burning up barrels trying to find an 1/8 in. tighter group. Done with that. All that money and new stuff. Doesn't shoot any Tigger than before. Only difference is it weighs 3.5 lbs more now and because it's not my go to Mtn. rifle anyone ☹️

I have another question regarding the Rem/age barrel option. Can I basically get a remage nut and have any make of barrel installed as long as it matches the savage shank and threads?

I have another question regarding the Rem/age barrel option. Can I basically get a remage nut and have any make of barrel installed as long as it matches the savage shank and threads?
Yup as long as,.. the Threads "Match".
I'm using, a Criterion SS Barrel and Crown Ridge, barrel, "Nut" on My SS Rem 700 short, L-H action.
Looks, Sharp and "Shoots",.. Awesome, in 6 XC, Version 1, Tubb Design, 1-7.5 Twist, .104 Freebore.
I can, HIGHLY recommend, Criterion Barrels

Last edited:
I've seen that most custom action manufacturers offer southpaw options, but I've been noticing lately, they don't have anything or are all sold out. Guess that's a good thing if they are sold out, but since I'm ready to start purchasing parts, I may still need to move forward with my 700 action or look at a different factory actions that's available or I can get a prefit barrel for. Appreciate your info you passed along.
Is your 700 a lefty action ?