Truing/working over a Rem700 LA

shedhunt

Good morning,

I've posted a couple threads over the past month or so and I've got another one for you all!! I'm looking to build a new rifle and am looking to utilize my current Rem700 LA for the build. I've been reading a lot on the pro's and con's of custom actions but I haven't been able to find much on having a Rem700 action completely worked over to make it a silky smooth and butter action.

So I'm looking for input from those who have done this exact thing. What would you have done differently or not done at all and what should one look at having done to make the action exactly what I mentioned?

Thank you for you time!!

You might be able to afford the truing operations but you likely can't afford or want to pay what the time would cost to "make it a silky smooth and butter action". I do my own and no way would anyone want to pay for the time and handwork it takes to completely go through a Remington. To make it affordable you're going to have to define a stopping point at what is good enough and cost effective. If paying for the work I wouldn't go beyond the basic truing and minor clean up of some of the sharp edges. If you want primary extraction, pin fall and other timing issues addressed that is another subject and associated costs to discuss.

This is my opinion, for clarification I have several semi custom rifles built on pretty much untouched factory Model 700 actions. They all shoot good and they work. For a budget action that you already own, they're a good choice. However, making one silky smooth and making it feel like a custom would require LOTS of work potentially. First off, most Remingtons have no primary extraction, so you would need the bolt handle pushed forward then soldered/welded on to correct this. Another issue is the finish on the action and bolt. Some are nice and some are rough which would make them feel "gritty" when cycling. Also the bolt to action fit is usually sloppy and without buying an aftermarket bolt or trying to put a sleeve on the factory bolt there's no fixing that. The timing of the action usually is off and you'll have some cock on close where the bolt is stiff to close or feels kind of clunky when closing the bolt. Fixing that requires some effort and isn't easy. Those are all just some of the things that would need to be addressed if you wanted to make a Model 700 feel silky smooth and like a custom action.

You can use the action just as it is and not do any of that and besides having some potential primary extraction issues, it would be fine. We're not even getting into the extractor, bolt release, scope mount holes being off center, squareness of the face and lug abutments, magazine box limitations, etc. I'm not trying to dog on any action, the 700 is a good choice for a first time rifle build or budget build. As long as everything is functioning on them, they will make a good shooting rifle. I just don't recommend dumping $500+ into one to make it as nice as possible. You're better off selling the 700 action/rifle and taking that money and the $500 you were going to spend on the 700 to fix it and buy a custom action. I hope this is helpful.

Good morning,

I've posted a couple threads over the past month or so and I've got another one for you all!! I'm looking to build a new rifle and am looking to utilize my current Rem700 LA for the build. I've been reading a lot on the pro's and con's of custom actions but I haven't been able to find much on having a Rem700 action completely worked over to make it a silky smooth and butter action.

So I'm looking for input from those who have done this exact thing. What would you have done differently or not done at all and what should one look at having done to make the action exactly what I mentioned?

Thank you for you time!!
Got a Remington action, it has been gone through and it works just great. I'm pretty happy with it but for a couple hundred more I could've got a custom action.

Got a Remington action, it has been gone through and it works just great. I'm pretty happy with it but for a couple hundred more I could've got a custom action.
That's reassuring. Being a lefty shooter and the fact that its pretty hard to come by a lefty custom action right now, this just may be the way I go to at least get me started. I can always upgrade at a later date if I choose.

I've got many Rem 700's that have been re-barreled (both shoulder fit and Rem/age) and will shoot better than I can.
Only one has ever been trued. It shoots no better than the rest. Perhaps I've been extremely lucky that many times.
I do have a bit of primary extraction on a couple but have gotten used to it and roll thru it without a hiccup.
I like my 700's.

This is my opinion, for clarification I have several semi custom rifles built on pretty much untouched factory Model 700 actions. They all shoot good and they work. For a budget action that you already own, they're a good choice. However, making one silky smooth and making it feel like a custom would require LOTS of work potentially. First off, most Remingtons have no primary extraction, so you would need the bolt handle pushed forward then soldered/welded on to correct this. Another issue is the finish on the action and bolt. Some are nice and some are rough which would make them feel "gritty" when cycling. Also the bolt to action fit is usually sloppy and without buying an aftermarket bolt or trying to put a sleeve on the factory bolt there's no fixing that. The timing of the action usually is off and you'll have some cock on close where the bolt is stiff to close or feels kind of clunky when closing the bolt. Fixing that requires some effort and isn't easy. Those are all just some of the things that would need to be addressed if you wanted to make a Model 700 feel silky smooth and like a custom action.

You can use the action just as it is and not do any of that and besides having some potential primary extraction issues, it would be fine. We're not even getting into the extractor, bolt release, scope mount holes being off center, squareness of the face and lug abutments, magazine box limitations, etc. I'm not trying to dog on any action, the 700 is a good choice for a first time rifle build or budget build. As long as everything is functioning on them, they will make a good shooting rifle. I just don't recommend dumping $500+ into one to make it as nice as possible. You're better off selling the 700 action/rifle and taking that money and the $500 you were going to spend on the 700 to fix it and buy a custom action. I hope this is helpful.

and you can screw a pre fit barrel onto a custom in your garage

Almost all custom action Manufactures make right and left hand actions. I have had no trouble sourcing a Left Hand Action. LH Origins are usually in stock.
I've seen that most custom action manufacturers offer southpaw options, but I've been noticing lately, they don't have anything or are all sold out. Guess that's a good thing if they are sold out, but since I'm ready to start purchasing parts, I may still need to move forward with my 700 action or look at a different factory actions that's available or I can get a prefit barrel for. Appreciate your info you passed along.

I've seen that most custom action manufacturers offer southpaw options, but I've been noticing lately, they don't have anything or are all sold out. Guess that's a good thing if they are sold out, but since I'm ready to start purchasing parts, I may still need to move forward with my 700 action or look at a different factory actions that's available or I can get a prefit barrel for. Appreciate your info you passed along.
Tikka

I've done many rem.700 actions....old....new..... s.s.,chrome moly....
Rifles are like an engine..... you don't know what you got till you get them apart.
I've seen some that could benefit nearly ZERO...... most could stand some alignment.
If you own a lathe and have the understanding you can do the work yourself.
Otherwise I would recommend going with a custom action.Barrels are another topic.... we are lucky in the U.S.having many good barrel makers...
About 15 yrs. ago my brother bought a brand new left
handed rem.700 chrome moly sa.for an accurate prairie dog rifle....
Took it apart started looking it over.Checked concentricity of the reciever threads for alignment with bolt bore.They did,nt match by .013" ..... receiver face had been done on a sander... mismatching the oringinal surface by 75%..... When you get one like this you gotta remachine the reciever lugs,reciever face and recut the threads by at least .010"...in brothers case .015"....not with a tap..... but chasing the threads with a lathe.
When finshed it are good as most customs.... except for the bolt diameter fit with the reciever..... for that you can sleeve bolt..... you know what you got......
Resale value only raises questions about who did the work...... what exactly did they do...
We all started somewhere in this ballgame, the choice is dependent on your pocketbook and your families responsibilities.
All this said.... You can hand most people an Olympic quality accuracy type gun....
They are not able to appreciate it totally because of their ability.
bill