Is painting over stainless only for a professional?

tscott

I put a new Bell and Carlson camo stock on my Rem 700 SPS. Now it seems like the stainless sticks out like a sore thumb. Does anyone have advice about painting over the stainless finish? Is this only a job for a profissional?
Thanks, Tim G

Easy to do yourself !! Take oil and grease cleaner or similar and wipe it down and then paint it.... Easy as can be. I have done 6 rifles now and a shotgun.

456395.jpg
[/url]
462134.JPG
[/url]
462133.JPG
[/url]

D&L from Gillette, WYOMING and his 2 custom AR

465524.jpg
[/url]
465526.jpg
[/url]

Sendero Man, You did a beautiful job on those guns. What is the process you used? What type of paint, primer, ect? What is the maintenance involved after the gun is painted? Thanks. Sorry to ask so many questions.
Tim G

I done the samething as Sendero Man. Just make dam sure you tape off the glass and knobs. My wife is so fast on the draw...I told her I was thinking of spraying my 270SPS and before I knew it she was shooting it up and did not cover the glass or the magnification numbers. I told her I appreciate the effort but Jesus H Christ slow down a little and think about what you are doing. She told me that MEK would take it right off and to go on back to what I was doing and leave her alone. She's the best friend I got and has spoiled me rotten...if not for her I'd be dead by now.

Tim

Come on you guys, you've shown pretty pictures but nobody has given any details. How do you do it? And what do you use?

Thanks man.... I appreciate it.

First off, I wipe everything down with a grease and oil cutter/remover.

Second, I remove bolt and mask off all areas that I don't want painted. Examples: scope objectives, trigger area, bolt area, crown, scope numbers, etc.

Next, I paint base color and let dry for 24 hours. Then do following layers with same 24 hour cure time.

Last, pull all tape off areas and put bolt back in.

I do regular cleaning for internal parts and exterior just gets a touch up paint job as needed.

I use the Hunters Specialties paint kit. Has four colors and some stencils in it. I personally start with lightest colors and go darker colors progressively.

Hope that helps ya out....

Let me know if you have any more questions.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sendero Man, Thanks very much. I'll try that and let you know how it turns out. Hopefully they will look half as good as yours. Thanks again.
Tim G
P.S. My wife and I are headed toward your state to do some Spring scouting during our Spring break. We will be up in the Gros Ventre area.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.