Rifle Painting?

I use Krylon Ultra Flat. Available at your local Wal-mart or auto store for right around $3 a can. Holds up fairly well, provided you wipe down the rifle good with alcohol or some other solvent that will strip the oil but not the finish off your gun.

I've been entertaining the thought of painting one of my coyote guns to use on bright, sunny days. What all do you recommend painting? Everything but the bolt? The stock? Will regular spray paint hold up on a polymer stock? I don't really care how it looks but I don't want to interfere with functionality, either.

Here's what I did......

Painted barrel/action and stock and made a cover for the scope.

A real low end paint job.

Actually this was my first attempt w/an airbrush. I used simple outdoor craft paint and diluted it sufficently to work in the airbrush.

Turns out it wears pretty well.

The rifle is an old and well worn REM 722 in 222.
332In-Snow-Patch-sticks-med.jpg

The Aluma-Hyde II paint from Brownells is a great paint for what your wanting , once it cures it is realy hard and scratch resistant. Assuming that you take the proper paint treatment , like totaly degreasing the area and, and letting the paint cure fully which can take as long as 2 weeks if you live in a cold damp area.
I paint alot of stocks for rifles and shotguns with this stuff. I have converted a cabnet into a closet size paint drying booth , I just hang the painted part in their turn on the heater and in about 3 days its totaly cured

I too have used it with good success on stocks. JDJones, have you used it on barrels and/or recievers? I have a project that I'm considering it.

I have painted several tactical shotguns for police officers and it seems to hold up well , the pre cleaning and curing are the keys , the steel has to be dead nuts clean and free of anything. and if you can blast the parts that makes it even better , I blast with 220 grit aluminum oxide

My first try at painting a rifle actually worked great.

I got some 200 grit sand paper and went over the metal with, minus scope.
Taped it off and greased the bolt and stuff i didnt want paint getting on or in.

Krylon Camoflage Flat colors.
Khacki, Brown, Olive Drab, Black

Did base in black and let it cure, then another coat.
After letting all that dry and cure i held the cans high and "dusted" the rifle.

Let it cure and went out shooting :D Blends in perfect out where we hunt.

Actually got quite a few compliments also.. not use to that.

Before:
P8050367.jpg

After:
P3030425.jpg

Close up:
P3030426.jpg

Here's what I did......

Painted barrel/action and stock and made a cover for the scope.

A real low end paint job.

Actually this was my first attempt w/an airbrush. I used simple outdoor craft paint and diluted it sufficently to work in the airbrush.

Turns out it wears pretty well.

The rifle is an old and well worn REM 722 in 222.
332In-Snow-Patch-sticks-med.jpg

Hey Roy,

Would it be possible to post the pic as a .jpg attachment. I'm not allowed to access photobucket over here in AFG on the system we use. If you can't, no worries. Thanks!

Doc

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.