PAINTING A COMPOSITE STOCK

Ian M

Has anyone had any experience painting a composite stock. Krylon wrinkle paint or what would be the best paint? (See two types in Brownells, prefer to buy locally to save the shipping hassle).
Do you need to undercoat first? If so with what?
Does sprayed-on paint rub off very easily?
Thanks
ian

I used to paint cars and motercycles it is the same prosses only different types of paint, can spray paint works if you have a steady hand and really shake the can up to mix it right an under coat does hold the paint better If you are going to use a spray gun sand the stock put on two good coats of primmer and sand it with 1000 grit wet and dry sandpapper this is done to remove what is called orange peal if you go out and look at your car now and look down the side you will see what i am talking about unless you have a custom hot rod
smile.gif
smile.gif
and then add the base color this can also be done with can paint but the dry time is a factor as the can paint is a oil base.

Once that is done and dry you can tape off differint patterns and add color when this is done you can add a flat clear and sand it down to get rid of any edges left from tape from the colors you added or art work from an air brush just becarefull not to sand to deep and hit the patteren Hope this helps
Coyote Slayer

CS,
Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. I have an old busted composite muzzleloader stock that I will practice on.

How is your weather up in Alaska - we have been having a mild winter but lately got some nasty wind-chill temps. Mild winter spoiled us, can't take the cold like we should be able to. Almost no snow either, should be good for the critters.
Good luck with your wolf plinking.
ian

Hi Yea are winter has been preaty weard we have not had much snoe or cold eather the coldest it got was -50 for about a week but like you it never reached what is normal.

We are getting a lot of snow now so this is pushing the wolves down so no more mountain climbing I Hope
smile.gif
smile.gif
Oh and if you use car paint this new stuff is really hard on the lungs so wear some type of mask Have a good one Coyote Slayer

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.