Trouble shooting tight groups

Gota6.5

I was hoping someone had any ideas why I can't seem to shoot cosistent groups out of my custom .260.

Its a rem 700 with shilen #2 bbl and ADL Mcmillan edge stock, and weighs around 7lbs scoped with a VX-3 3.5-10. In the 4 years since I've had it bult, I've struggled to shoot good groups with it. Its been checked over, and the smithing is good. I've previously been able to shoot great groups out of my old favourite hunting gun, a 6x45 and other .243's and 6mm rems.

I recently had a guy do some load development for it, and he managed 1/2 MOA with his handloads. He did mention that the rifle was hard to shoot, and that he noticed a lot of movement on the target with his 6.5-20 scope on board. He thought it was to do with the light weight and thin forend. He also suggested perhaps a jewel trigger for it.

I'm also wondering wether or not I've become a bit recoil shy from shooting this lightweight from the bench during load development. I'm a bit smaller than your average bloke at 65kg's wringing wet......

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to get some confidence back with this rig. could it be the weight? Do I need a bigger scope to see the movement? Or do I need to go back to a .222/.223 and learn how to shoot again?

Thanks in advance

Nick

It sounds like your guy nailed it. If the trigger's too heavy and the stock isn't suited to precision shooting, then you'll have a tough time keeping at or under 1/2 MOA.

My preferred front rest with my featherweight Model 70 is a Harris benchrest bipod.

The thin fore end is very difficult to let lie still for best results even with a good trigger.

Here's a quick check list...
- action and barrel true
- barrel floated
- crown in good condition
- scope, bases, rings good and solid
- proper load workup
- correct twist for chosen bullet
- proper front and rear rest allowing the stock to track straight to the rear
- nothing touching the barrel while firing
- natural point of aim (bone support, muscle relaxation)
- cross hairs not moving when dry fired
- follow through and try to spot your shot

And, I'm a big believer in muzzle breaks although, there are situations when you don't want one.

Hope this helps.
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.