Shooting groups at distance

hunter966

Hello all,

I have a 260 Rem. and have it shooting dead on at 100 yards but when I shoot at 200 through 400, that's as far as I've been so far, my groups are still tight but they are all off to the right and I am not quite sure as to what I am doing to make that happen.

I am thinking that i am canting my rifle to the right, I am a right handed shooter, in order make my scope stay vertical. My stock is an HS Precision with palm swell and I have a XLR Industries cheek rest on it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks hunter966

Hello all,

I have a 260 Rem. and have it shooting dead on at 100 yards but when I shoot at 200 through 400, that's as far as I've been so far, my groups are still tight but they are all off to the right and I am not quite sure as to what I am doing to make that happen.

I am thinking that i am canting my rifle to the right, I am a right handed shooter, in order make my scope stay vertical. My stock is an HS Precision with palm swell and I have a XLR Industries cheek rest on it.

Thanks hunter966

Just get a scope level and set the rifle up level using the action rails, then use the level to
set the scope and reticle level.

Then while shooting read the level on every shot and that should minimize your issues.

Canting the scope in the rings and and canting the rifle is a common probablem.

I like the scope mounted levels and the action levels and use both at the same time for
best set up results.

Hello all,

Thanks hunter966

A lot of things come into play once you leave 100 yards. Botail verses flat base...has the bullet settled down etc. Make things right at 200 then go back to 100 yards and see what you got. If you were canting right impact would be to the left.

If the further out you go the further right you shoot then its probably cause you're crosshair isn't plumb with the center of your bore. Check out a tool at brownells called the EXD engineering vertical reticle instrument, I got one of these and it works nice, I just set it up when im mounting a scope and i set a plumb Bob out about 20 or 30 yards and while maintaining the level on the vertical reticle instrument just turn the scope til the vertical crosshair is perfect with the plumb Bob, once you have it right on just run through your elevation adjustment to make sure the crosshairs don't deviate from the plumb Bob, if thats where the problem is that'll take care of it.

My groups are roughly 5.5" right, I am shooting 140 gr. A max's on top of 46 gr. of H4831SC.

I'm seeing the same thing. One rifle I have will shoot about 2" right at 200 yards when center at 100, and the other shoots 1.5" left at 200 when centered at 100.

I think I need to verify that the crosshairs actually track vertical when I dial for further ranges.

I'm seeing the same thing. One rifle I have will shoot about 2" right at 200 yards when center at 100, and the other shoots 1.5" left at 200 when centered at 100.

I think I need to verify that the crosshairs actually track vertical when I dial for further ranges.

If your shooting tight groups (1" or so) with many many shots at 200 then I would say the bullet is not settled at 100 yards. Botails are known to "wobble" until out a ways 200 yards +.If your shooting a flat based bullet then other issues are in play as the flat based bullets settle quite quickly. Get the thing on at 200 then move out to 300-400 and see how it goes. All this assumes the scope has been installed properly and the vertical is in line with the bore and the rifle is mechanically sound and you are a proficient shooter. Of course there is always the load your using.

If your dead on at 200 and 400 yards who cares if it's off somewhat at 100 yards

My rifle is a rem. 700 that was built by Mike Luckett here in Oklahoma and its wearing a Leupold Mark4 6.5x20 scope and when I mounted it I used the Wheeler level system and it showed to be level.

If everything is set up right, and you can hold a tight group consistently, you will notice spin drift, and the further out you shoot, the more pronounced it is. I usually verify zero at 4 or 500 yards after I think I have it dialed. At those ranges I expect to see about 1/2 MOA drift to the right, if I'm right on at 100. Any rifle I expect to shoot beyond 300 I zero to be 1/2 " left at 100.

Hey Hunter, don't be talking about Mike Luckett around these sites. Before you know it there will be a bunch of Yankees and West coast liberals sending builds down here. That will cause long turn around times. Hush!!!!!

What the crap was I thinking! I meant to to say Mack Lucky yah that's it.

I picked up a level for my scope and maybe this will get me going. You guys mentioned the exd reticle level tool will that improve upon what I have done with the Wheeler leveling tool?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts