tripod mounted rifle rest

<font color="red"> WOW, Ultra cool. </font>
I was thinking, they are going to ruin the tri-pod with anything bigger than a .22 until I saw your set up. The gun can free recoil - it's not directly attached to the tri-pod - just like the benchrest mounts we use at 50 BMG shoots.

I just came home from Boeing surplus with 135 lbs of Aluminum - I guess I need to make one ( Unless you sell them ). What part of Montana are you in? I'm from GF - not far from Kirby.

For all you yanks out there, <font color="brown"> MTBA </font> = Montana To Be Announced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm making one. I'd like to make the base a bit wider so I can mount my spotting scope on the left and rangefinder on the right. I picked up some nylon for the bases (at Boeing surplus) you add baby powder to (hope it's not raining) - then the recoil moves the gun over smoothly).

Everyone sans the clinically paranoid please put your contact info in your profile. Those folks kindly give the contact information of your liberal representatives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For Tripod Shooters

Here is a failed experiment that I tried this summer, that might have some applications to home made tripods. I have a very light Rem 700 in 17 Rem and I was trying to get it to shoot competition type tight groups so I decided that the fore end was not flat enough and that the gun was not heavy enough so I got some C channel iron (not aluminum) and drilled two holes in the channel iron. Then I screwed the C channel onto the fore stock using the front sling swivel stud nut and drilled and epoxied in another nut just in front of the receiver and tightened it down and got it leveled up. I took a sander and sanded the metal bottom until it was polished smooth and would slide back real nice on the front bag. As it turned out it helped get the gun stable in the bags and was real nice to shoot but the gun still will not shoot better than 0.5 MOA with the factory barrel. I concluded that if you want a bench rest gun then you should have someone build you one.

Any way my thought is that if you have a gun with a fore stock that is not conducive to resting flat on a tripod type mount that you can do the same thing with some aluminum 'C "channel and get everything flat and level.
It all goes on in about one minute with a screw driver and it comes back off and you install your sling swivel stud and your sling and away you go.
Of course you can't be dropping your screws in the tall grass and losing them. And it is all a little more complicated than I said but it really will give you a flat platform if you need it. If it had improved my guns groups I would have gotten some Accraflass and molded a better bed between the stock and the C channel. The groups did not get any worse they just didn't get better.

318709.jpg

318703.jpg

Here is a gun with two peices of C channel back to back. youo will notice that I did not counter sink the screw heads. That would have come later if I continued the experiment.

318700.jpg

An you called me Rube Goldberg! Well back atcha, fella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What else ya got in the hopper?

There ought to be a special section on this forum for the
"crazy things I made that did or didn't work.

BTW, who's toes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, years ago I recrowned my 17 with a auto engine valve grinder. The 90 degee crown didn't catch on but it helped mine do better for the 3 or 4 shots between cleanings. Consider recrowning to the proper angle and maybe even fire lapping the bore. Squat, it couldn't hurt. Or could it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

b1g_b0re
I am from West Yellowstone. Sounds like you are off and running with the project. Hope it works out well for you. For anyone else I would make any requested design for you if you want.

well i finished a proto-type and test fired it along with some friends. we shot a 7mm mag,300 win mag,300 rum,and a 30-378 wby mag. we all took turns from a standing position and shot off the rest which was on a bogen tripod.it was really nice.remember this rest was an idea for hunting. i will post some pics if i can figure out how to.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.