Tripod Rifle Rest

SES50

I have a Slick carbon fiber tripod and Jim White panning head with light weight ball head on top for my spotting scope. I also have a set shooting sticks for hunting. The other day I was looking at my gear and figured why am I carrying both of these. I should just make a v-block that will fit on top of my panning head and leave the ball head attached to the bottom of the spotting scope.

So I threw this design together pretty quick and am getting ready to order the delrin to cut it out of. The weight is about 2.25 ounces and it will fully contact the top surface of the panning head when screwed on.

TripodRifleRest.jpg

Figure I will leave this on the tripod so incase I need it quick I can grap it. If I need to use the spotting scope I have time to unscrew it and screw on the spotting scope. This should eliminate the added weight of the shooting sticks.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions while it is still on paper and before I program it into the mill?

Thanks. I was looking for advice but if I get a bunch of peope interested I will cut a couple extra out. Once the program is in the machine it does not take much to cut more of them. What would you guys pay for them. $35? I will cut extra out I just need to know how much material to order. Black Delrin is not the cheapest material but I think it is the correct material for this design.

Give me a count by Monday evening and I will order material Tuesday.

SES50

We prototyped some parts that were spec'd with black delrin, and we used a regrind material that had virtually the same properties, although it wasn't pure black - you could see flecks of slightly different colors mixed together in the mass. The good thing is that it was almost 1/2 the cost of virgin Delrin. The raw material that we needed was roughly 3"x4"x6" to get the finished part. (just to give you an idea of the size that was available)

Thanks. I was looking for advice but if I get a bunch of peope interested I will cut a couple extra out. Once the program is in the machine it does not take much to cut more of them. What would you guys pay for them. $35? I will cut extra out I just need to know how much material to order. Black Delrin is not the cheapest material but I think it is the correct material for this design.

Give me a count by Monday evening and I will order material Tuesday.

SES50

I saw something just like this at my local gun shop for $12.

$12 you should buy it. It was probably made in mass quantities on a molding machine in China.

What was the regrind material? If you get me a material spec I will take a look at it. My biggest issue with this part is that the threads hold up during repeated hits during recoil. I have modified the design so that the radius in the bottom of the "V" is smaller. This will allow the sling lug to clear the "V" during recoil. I will also be lock tighting a 3/8" set screw in the bottom to screw onto the tripod.

SES50

Got the prototypes in today. I had them machined with a .201 hole through the center which is the tap drill for a 1/4-20. This also gave the ability to drill it out and tap is 3/8-16. I talked to multiple people and some wanted 1/4-20 and some wanted 3/8-16 depending if they wanted it mounted to thier panning head or to thier ball head. Here are some pictures of it mounted to my panning head. With a 1" 3/8-16 set screw install it weighs around 2.5 ounces. It was hard to tell the exact weight as I was using my wifes kitchen scale but it looks like I will be saving just over .75 lbs by not carrying my shooting sticks on pack trips. Here are some pictures. I have a couple extra prototypes if anyone is interested.

IMG_4251.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I have two left out of the initial run. What thread do you want? 1/4-20 or 3/8-16?

I will send you a pm.

Sherman

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.