New Rifle rest with Pics

James Jones

well I finaly finished my prototype heavy duty bench rest , it gonna be phase one of a two part system , the entire top assembly will be transfered to a big tripod type setup that ALOT lighter in weight and hopefully just as steady but desgined for F-class shooting , the Idea comes from a rest that a Great guy built for another member here "eddybo"

Well here is the Bench rest part of the equasion , its probably WAY over built but what the hell can't be to big right , its all either 316L stainless steel or 7075 Aluminum , it weighs in at 28lbs , all that left is to desgine the top for the bags.

Benchrest2.jpg

Benchrest1.jpg

That puny lil thing:) Wait till you see some of the rest those unlimited guys use on rail guns. It is looking great. I hear that there is a decent annodizer in your area. Are you going that direction or just gonna polish er up? Overkill....what the heck is that.....not in my vocabulary:)

I have been looking at some rest all over the web and some of those things look like they should have an M-2 mounted on them. I have decided that I'm just gonna use a Sinclair windage top instead of making my own , either Sinclair or Bald Eagle.

here is the F-class part of the duo , it uses the same adjustment post so all that required is just loosening the short knob and pulling the post out and dropping it in the tripod. the tripod measures 5.750" from tyhe ground with the claws sunk in to the top of the post then add another 1.5-2" for the bag , it may be a bit to high unless your using a tall bunny ear bag so the real deal is gonna have some improvements , the Radius of the tripod rest is 16".

As for having it painted or anodized I'm not sure , like I said these are just mock ups for a real build up. Allthe cuts on both of these were realy fast so their is a good deal of tool marks none of which coulded be knocked off with some 180 grit. I may have them coated of somthing and try to sell them later . The tool marks you see in the base plate are mearly smudges it feels smooth as glass when you run your finger accross it , I was setting up a new Orion CNC and decided to make a couple quick passes to see what it would do. , that was done with a 2.5" , 6 tooth facing mill running at 6000 rpms and 70 inches of feed per min with no coolant , we installed a plate to bolt partes to so that the T slots werent needed and when we made the final passes to square it up we ran the mill at 13,000 rpms 30" fpm with a 1000 psi vapor coolant purge , the finish was as bright as crome !! this tool is simply awsome but for a bit over 2 million dollars it better be , now if we can jst get te programers to get their stuff together!!

well here are a coiuple pics of the tripod/F-class rest

F-classrest2.jpg

F-classrest1.jpg

Bothrest.jpg

Thats what I am taking bout.......teh f-class rest is kickin butt...my unfair advantage is gone:mad:. I wish that I had access to some machinery and the skills to build some cool stuff. Actually I am thinking about buying a jett 14x60 and a big jett knee mill from southern tool, but am going to do a lot of shopping first. If I get them, I am going to have to talk you into driving up and helping me and Mr. Don set them up?

As soon as I get a place to put a shop without the worry of it getting flooded I'm jumping in and buying a lathe and mill.
You definatly need to shop around , you will be amazed at the way the prices range from company to company. Jet makes good stuff , it woulden't be my first choice for a full time production shop where the tool will see 8-12hrs running a day but the chances of that happening are slim to none. I have setup a few Jet lathes and mills as well as the MSC name brand mills and supprisingly they are very well made. At work we have Bridgeport , Clausing and Lagune mills all of which are pretty bit manual mills 3hp with power feeds in all three direction I'm very disapointed in the Lagunes and I'd rather work with a table top Enco before a Clausing. The Bridgeports are the top of the line and stay true the longest , the one that I'm constantly dealing with problem wise is dedicated to running a 4" Fly cutter and some of the production machinest try to make way to heavy of cuts at way to fast of feed rates so it beats the hell out of the tool.
I'm actualy going to Mobile one night this next week to setup a lathe and mill for my dads friend ,he bought them both from Grizzly ,I'm intersted in seeing how well they are made.

I'd like to have these things anodized but the closest people that I can find are out of north Alabama and they want me to ship it all to them before they will even give me a ball park idea as to what it'll cost. I'm gonna ask around and see if anybody local does it.

Lots of practice and LOTS of screw ups , just here reciently I made a major foul up running a new CNC that uses way more codes that it needs and the programer doesn't want to listen. While running a 2 million dollar machine with a $3000 cutter I crashed it into a part for a $40,000,000 gas tank !!! So when you dick up a part or break a cutter don't feel bad.

Just keep makin chips and keep your digets out of the way , I'm gonna try to get some pics of what happens when you get your hand to close to a 4" fly cutter running at 1500 rpms , a guy was using his hand to sweep some chips off of a part and thought he wasen't that close , now he'll be picking his nose with his middle finger as the index was ripped off.

These two rest were just test runs to see what it was exactly I wanted , the real deal will look alot better.

JJ,

What you gonna do with that grasshopper/M-60 tripod lookin thing? anyway I dont see how you could miss with that as a rest!

you wanna ditch it just send to me! ill paint it OD and black use in a beanfield!.....I thought i might have someting going with a new fiberglass survey tri-pod....but aint worked on it!

SURE PURTY!

GEAUX- Tigers!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.