triming brass 7mmstw

new shooter

I was going to trim new remington brass for 7mmstw. The hodgdon data manual said Maximum case lenght 2.850 trim to length 2.845 but all are less the 2.845. So what length do i trim to ? Caliper read between 2.838 and 2.841. Thanks for input. Joe

Don't trim them, they are already too short. You could pull an expander ball through
them and they may/should stretch a bit.

What i usually do (not that its the best way just my way) is neck size all the new brass just to get all the dents and so forth out of the necks. Then ill measure all of them and find out what length is, say they are 2.835-2.845 then ill set my trimmer up and trim all them to 2.835 that away they all start life at the same length and should all grow the same after each firing you dont want to have some needing to be trimmed and others being to short.

Nathan

What is the difference in trimming them all before or after first firing? After gets them
closer to spec. Why would you ever trim shorter than minimum spec?

The way I see it your talking 12 to 15 thou shorter than spec IMO that's not that big a deal cuz after the first firing their all going to be close. So I guess it doesn't really matter trimming new or once fired that's just the way I do it.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.