7mmstw witch 140 gr

new shooter

Got a 7mmstw 1-11 barrell. Witch 140gr to use on deer out to 700 yd. I tride 168 berger but they hit sideways at 200 yd. So i will try 140,s. Thanks Joe

I have a 7stw with 26" shilen barrel 1 in 11" twist, it would shoot nothing over 140 grains. Best accuracy has been with Hornady 140 Inter-bonds and Berger 140 VLD hunting bullets. Either of these bullets will shoot sub MOA in this rifle. I have had best results with H-1000 and Retumbo. Good luck

I'd try all of these and in this order:

150 Swift Scirocco, 140 AB, 140 VLD, 150 ballistic tip. I have killed a few mule deer and about 2 dozen whitetails with the good old btip in 150 grain from my 7mag with some distances being bowrange. No worries.

Just curious, but why did you go with an 11 twist in 7mm? 10T would be the slowest twist I'd use personally.

Actually I'd shoot the 150 btip over a 140 accubond, but that's because I've had over 20 years of success with the btip and never a failure, problem, or worry. I haven't had any experience with the Accubond yet in 7mm.

The 150 Scirocco has also been a real killer. That bullet is just one tough pill and performs exceptionally well on game. It was just a bit more time consuming for me to find the load. Once I did, it was impressive!

The Accubond will react on game just like the Scirocco. It is a good bullet. I shoot the 130 AB at 3350 fps out of my 264 win mag and it really holds together even on shots as close as 100 yards and is very accurate.

Derek,
I ended up with a 1 in 11 twist because I did not specify anything differently and that was what Christensen arms buys from shilen for this caliber. It was a expensive lesson and one I will never forget. I was very thankful it would shoot the 140s as I had the rifle built for Couse deer hunting and the 140s shoot flat and have pleanty of energy for our 110 lb deer. You picked a awesome caliber, I love it so much I have three of them.
Rick

I know all about those Coues! Got 3 with a bow. Not sure why they recommend an 11 twist. That really limits bullet selection for a diameter with plenty of options.

Let us know what you wind up trying and having success with. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.