7mmSTW 120grn load info

jesse71

I am currently working up a Barnes 120grn TSX load using H1000,does anyone have any experiences or recipies for this projectile or projectiles of this weight?

New Member of 7mmSTW Club.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying H4831 as next step.
In a perfect world I would be trying RL19 but this is rare in NZ.

I can get Vihtavouri powders but can't find any data for STW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information I didn't know Berger made a 140grn for the 7mm. I will investigate availabillity.:)

The reason I am trying a 120 Barnes load is I have found the Nosler 140 grn BT quite explosive on the Chamois we have in this country.
Nice neat hole on entry and a fist sized hole on exit. They tend not to run to far though.
I have had better results with the 140 Accubond but thought I would try the Barnes, (as they are quite often raved about) and go to a lighter bullet.

Using 87.6-87.8 grns H1000 (ADI AR2217) I have achieved groups of 18-20mm(3 shots) @ 100m using Remington brass,CCI 250 primers.

I have had keyhole groups with both the Noslers using the same but with 83.5grns of H1000.

I am yet to chrony these loads as I do not own one and usually load for most accurate load.

I have found I can get hold of RE22 and I looking at trying some of this over a chrony of a friend along with my existing loads.

I know H1000 is great with bullets 160grn and above but alot of the reloading manuals quote other powders such as H4831,Reloader 19/22 etc with the lighter bullets.
Have you found H1000 the best across your loads or is another powder more suitable with the lighter bullets?

never shot anything lighter than 140's in mine. I tried re22, H4831, IMR 4831 and couldn't come close to matching the velocities I got from H-1000, the only other bullet I've shot in that rifle is the 160 accubond, running it with WC872. tried a few 140 original x-bullets but they didn't shoot well at all.
RR

I am currently working up a Barnes 120grn TSX load using H1000,does anyone have any experiences or recipies for this projectile or projectiles of this weight?

New Member of 7mmSTW Club.

jesse71,
This combo to me is a total mis-match ( like Ellen DeGenerate getting married to her girlfriend). For a 7STW you should consider mabey a 160grain Accubond or a Berger168gr-180gr VLD and leave the 120gr copper foulers to the 7mm-08 crowd.
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.