Trigger advice

kfrye

For someone who is new to the long range game, would it be a beneficial move to have a better trigger installed in my 338 Sendero, or just have the factory trigger lightened up? I was thinking along the lines of a rifle basix on the low end or a Jewell for high end. The gun will be accurized by Hart if that helps. I am not looking to skip the learning curve, but help make it easier, if a better, more consistent trigger will do it.

Last edited:
Rifle Basix triggers are a great trigger for half the cost of a Jewel. I reccomend them to all my customers who are looking to do exactly what you are doing, upgrade from the factory. The factory triggers are sometimes OK but about 3 lbs is as low as you can take them safely, and they're usually not all that repeatable. Either trigger you decide on is a step up and you won't regret upgrading.

Go with Jewel. They are awesome triggers and once you use one, you will always want one on your rifle.

W.

A thoughts on triggers and I will try to be more tactful and supply a few more words on why I say what I say than what I did on the weather meter thread.

Triggers cost money and so do good optics. Spend money on optics. They will cost you about $4,000.00. The smoke screen class at the Ft Benning Infantry School makes it clear that you can't kill what you can't see.

If you are not going to have a new barrel put on with a precision cut chamber, there is not a need to put money on a new trigger that is useless. Just have him rework the trigger. That is what I did with my Rem 700. I took it to Eddie Harren and had him adjust it to 2 pounds and it feels really good to me and with the factory barrel still on the rifle I do not notice any problems relative to the trigger. The factory barrel need to be taken off though.

If you are one of those people that can feel a fish tap your jig with a 100 yards of line out then you have fingers sensitive enough to need a really good trigger. If you are like me and would not notice that a possum had latched onto your trigger finger until you reach into your pocket to get your keys and find a possum hanging on your finger, then you have no need for a fancy trigger. A worked factory or Timmney will do you just fine.

Finally, if this is to be a hunting rifle you need to think about what you are going to do. Even with a 2 # trigger I do not let my son load a round until an animal is seen and I don't either. So if someone else is going to use this rifle then you need to consider that fact. There are a few people who are actually good enough to hunt with a round in the chamber with a 4 oz trigger and I will bet that they are so good that they don't.

If money is not a consideration then by all means get your self a fancy trigger.

I've gone both ways with Rem 700s. I put a Timney on my 270WSM and I really like it.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.