Bipod Advice shooting stick advice

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Skudrunner, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Skudrunner

Skudrunner Member

I just aquired a a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 with a KDF varmint muzzle break (no downward facing ports) with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 x40 BDC mounted on a EGW rail to the butt stock I added a limb-saver

Im looking for recommendations for a Bi-pod including height above ground along with shooting stick recommendations or any other recommendations

FYI I'm 5'11 in if that matters
    thanks in advance
    Mike
    :cool:

2. mrbigtexan

mrbigtexan Well-Known Member

I use the stoney point rapid pivot bipod thats at sitting highth and absolutely love it! But I cant find them anymore? I wanted to get one for my son so I could have mine back!!

3. sbhooper

sbhooper Banned

Unless you can get prone, the bipods are not that great for stability. Use a tripod and you will never want a bipod. They are far more stable. I have a Bog Pod and I am way happier with that than with any bipod that I have ever used.

I have a Harris bipod that I will give you a great price on if you decide that you want a bipod. I also have the rifle sling with shooting stix built in that I have no use for.

4. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

If it's a 9-13" with swivel - send me a PM, as I need a couple.

5. sbhooper

sbhooper Banned

Sorry, but it is like 11-26 or something like that. No swivel except up and down.

6. atitagain

atitagain New Member

If you are planning to go with a bi-pod that will be mounted on the gun, I would recommend something that will go up to around 30 inches. That way you can use it in a sitting or kneeling position.

If you are interested in shooting sticks, I would strongly recommend looking at the Primo's. They have a one hand lever system that is quick and quiet, and they swivel. They are a few more dollars, but in my opinion, well worth it.

7. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I am a bipod junk yard at this point.
    The only things I will buy any more are:
    1) the 9"-13" Harris swivel bipod
    2) the 5-9" Atlas bipod.

8. Zep

Zep Well-Known Member

I went thru this thought process last year when I wanted some sticks for woodchuck hunting. I read every darn post there is everywhere and I mean everywhere.

In the end I made my own. I bought some furring strips from Home Depot and put them together with a bolt, washers and a wing nut. It has been a lot of fun playing around with different lengths and stains (start out a little long and field test them, cut as needed when you get home).

In the end for hunting I generally shoot with them on my knees for stability. They also make a great walking stick. I have sanded them down a bit. They hold together snug when the wing nut is snug.

Frankly I got sick and tired of buying everything I have and I decided I wanted to make something. I could not be happier. Hope to post some pictures this week.