Chronograph advice

PRCLITE

I currently have a chrony but from my experience I've had to adjust dramatically when verifying drops. I'm looking for a new chronograph but want to know if the magnetospeed v3/sporter or labradar are worth the price. How much adjusting needed to be done while verifying drops?

I have the Magnetospeed Sporter and only use it when developing loads. It has been very reliable and worth every penny in my opinion.

Have you found it to be very accurate? I don't always have access to verify at distances over a few hundred yards and I'm trying to save as much time as possible when verifying. To elaborate a little I've had to correct from 2650fps to 2540fps last time I verified drops which made for a frustrating day at the range.

the labradar will give you multiple numbers and multiple distances.
that should make calculations easier to confirm.
then you need quality ballistic software

Definitely sounds like it's a great tool. My only hesitation is spending that kind of money for the one or two times a year I'd need it. As far as software I have ballistic AE and just bought the Sig Kilo 2400ABS so I'm definitely covered there.

Have you found it to be very accurate? I don't always have access to verify at distances over a few hundred yards and I'm trying to save as much time as possible when verifying. To elaborate a little I've had to correct from 2650fps to 2540fps last time I verified drops which made for a frustrating day at the range.
Yep. However, you will always have to verify drop and do some correction no matter what tool you use...my experience anyway.

I currently have a chrony but from my experience I've had to adjust dramatically when verifying drops. I'm looking for a new chronograph but want to know if the magnetospeed v3/sporter or labradar are worth the price. How much adjusting needed to be done while verifying drops?
I too have a magnetospeed sporter, in hindsight wish I would have gone with the Labradar. When I was looking at them, read many reviews that claimed the magnetospeed would not affect group size but it would change poi, in my expierence I've found that chrony hanging on the end of the barrel affects group size also especially on my sporter barrels, so now when I find a load with good es & sd I have to go home load it then back to range to shoot for group, where I could have done both simultaneously with the lab, should've bought once cried once.

will the magnetospeed work if the rifle has a muzzle brake or flash suppressor? Also, the labradar will give you velocity readings at multiple distances out to 100yds. I use mine for veloc with my pistols and revolvers, as well as rifles, with and without brakes.

I have been using a Magnetospeed since the first week they were on the market. It was a V1. I now use the Sporter and like it. Batteries last forever. Labradar uses a LOT of battery powder for a trivial amount of additional information. They both read velocities accurately.
I usually have to adjust velocities 20~30 FPS for trued drops. Last time was 22 FPS to match the custom bullet profile provided for the Applied Ballistics app. I recommend AB too.

I run a Labradar. But, I shoot, a LOT. About 35-40 different rifles a year and 2800-3000+ rounds. And do a lot of tinkering. For a need of once or twice a year, I would just find someone else who has one and go shoot with them when you need it. Twice a year is not worth a $550 investment.

But, they are very accurate. They also calculate ES, SD, and average speeds. And you don't have to strap it to your rifle, can shoot multiple rifles or pistols or bows in a row without messing with it or moving it from one to another.

I just finished load development for my new 6CM pushing a 105 Hybrid @ 3063fps for my target loads. I had shot it at 404 for the ladder test, then only at 100 & 200 for the load workup.
Last week, with the info I gathered, I went to stretch it's legs. Went out and started right at 545, made a 1st round hit within 1" of POA. Then, 765, 851, 921, 1181, 1251, all 1st round hits on small targets. Without an accurate speed input, no way the longer shots would have been on target.

Before you discount your current chrono, make sure your inputs are all correct for your gun and bullet info. Just had a buddy who messed up a couple inputs, and his drops were off. He tried to true his velocity which changed by about 100fps too, and it threw everything out of whack. Once we got the info corrected in his ballistic program, he was within .25MOA from 400 out to 900+. Trued his velocity off 5 new verified drops, and it only changed his speeds by about 20fps. Close to what his chrono had originally showed.

I bought the magnetospeed sporter a month ago hesitantly... I had read that people were successfully using with a suppressor but the mfr says it won't work, but being cheap I went ahead. I strapped it on, turned up the sensitivity and havent had an issue yet. It's picked up every shot I've fired. Federal 175 gr are reading about 75-100 fps below what's printed on the box, so I cant speak to accuracy of the unit. Never owned a chrony before, no software to check my numbers against. But I'm using for load development and it's working just fine for that.
I did buy the cable to hook up to my phone and that doesn't work. Tried on 3 different phones and a tablet, none work. After that, went back and looked at reviews and that seems to be the norm not the exception so if you go that route I wouldn't waste your money on the cord. That said, I went with the sporter over the V3 because I thought I could use the cable to get everything onto my phone for quick analysis, might do it differently now I think the V3 has SD card. As it stands now I just write down the velocity after I fire, which isn't that big a deal as I'm waiting between shots anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.