Traditions .54 cal

Yeah the hornadys great plain come lubed. I discovered that my powder measure was way off. I was shooting around 95 gr of powder when I thought I was at 70. Ive picked up more 425 great plain bullets and will try groups at 70 and 80 grains of powder. I'm still looking for real black powder but should be able to get my hands on some hopefully this weekend to try out. I've got a elk hunt starting September 1st so Im really hoping to have this gun shooting at least good enough for 100 but would really like to be confident at 150.

Joe, It has been a long time since I played with black powder. I thought it was measured by volume and not weight. I had different ends that scewed on my brass powder flask. It was for a certain powder 3f and larger. 4f primed the pan.

I don't know what the regulations are the location you are hunting, but if possible and you are looking at purchasing another ML, I would go with an inline ML. I have one made by CVA 50 Cal, topped with a scope, it is very accurate. I have a see thru rings to use the iron sights or the scope, iron sights are set for 50yds and the scope zeroed at 100yds. I used Hornady sabots and T/C Maxi- ball, pre-lubed, both are accurate sitting in front of two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets and ignited with a 209 shotgun primer. If you can go that route, I would certainly entertain the idea.

I'm in idaho so we can't use sabots, pellets or 209's. I can use a inline but it has to be open ignition like the cva wolf northwest or the cva acura v2 northwest. I've thought of getting one but really love the sidlocks and the history behind them.

I always wonder why some state regulators do not allow certain ML inline versus traditional, both are ML, both are made in same caliber, black powder whether pellets or loose is the same.. Sort of like Archery, some states allow crossbow other not, both will kill the Deer the same..

I'm in idaho so we can't use sabots, pellets or 209's. I can use a inline but it has to be open ignition like the cva wolf northwest or the cva acura v2 northwest. I've thought of getting one but really love the sidlocks and the history behind them.
I love the sidelocks too, planning on getting a flintlock soon with a 1:66 twist for patched ball.

No sabots and no pellets just seems silly. I imagine both of those lead to far less lost game, even more so after in imperfect first shot.

Are they over the counter tags? If so i guess it makes sense that they are just trying to keep the succes rate down.

We can't use optics on them here but 209's are good to go as well as pellets and sabots. ML is a limited season, usually between archery and rifle, and everything in the state is lottery draw.

Sorry for not contributing to an answer.

I actually like the laws here personally. It's a draw hunt but it doesn't matter if it's otc or draw the laws are the same. You can use an inline but has to have open ignition. They just don't want people shooting 300 yards and wacking animals the same as with a centerfire. I like it because not alot of people do which leads to better drawing odds. But definitely a harder hunt.

I went back out today and shot 80 gr of pyrodex with the 425 conical. It's shooting around a 3" group at 80 yards and a 5 inch group at 100 now. It's definitely better. I didn't try 70 gr but I bet it would tighten even more. I'm now confident at 100 yards and am going to shoot 125 and see how it does. I think going to a peep sight would tighten things up just a bit as well. The sight radius is fairly short on these. It's also shooting a patches ball at around 5" at 100 as well with 70 gr. of powder.

If you are thinking of buying a new one, look at the Knights in a western config, anything from the Bighorn up to the Ultra Light in a 50. The older TC Black Diamonds shoot pretty well in a western config also.

Disc Extreme is a great middle ground. Have an older Disc Extreme that is an absolute tack driver with pyrodex pellets and copper 358 power belts. Too bad they changed all the rules on us and I cant use it now. The Bighorn I currently have does not like the all lead PB's at all. Now that they have an Idaho legal Disc Extreme, I will be ordering one in the next couple weeks for a second ML this fall.

Most of the new inlines will have a 28 twist, so you are looking at bare conicals in the 380 to 460 grain range. Look at No Excuse bullets out of Utah. They sell a 420 and a 460 that shoot well in 28 twists. If it's a Knight, try the .503 diameter first. Affordable at $28 per 50.

I really like the old Shockeys Gold powder from American Pioneer. Loads very easily after many firings, cleans super easy and it doesnt stink! And best of all it doesnt seem to be nearly as corrosive.

Just some advise that has helped me. When working loads, mount a fricken scope on it. Then there is no doubt what shoots and what doesnt. Trade in the fiber optic sights for a peep on the rear and a globe with inserts on the front. Best upgrade on any of mine. In between each shot, spit on a patch and run it down the barrel, turn it over and run it down again to somewhat dry it.

For what its worth... YMMV.

Yeah the hornadys great plain come lubed. I discovered that my powder measure was way off. I was shooting around 95 gr of powder when I thought I was at 70. Ive picked up more 425 great plain bullets and will try groups at 70 and 80 grains of powder. I'm still looking for real black powder but should be able to get my hands on some hopefully this weekend to try out. I've got a elk hunt starting September 1st so Im really hoping to have this gun shooting at least good enough for 100 but would really like to be confident at 150.

Real BP has lots of issues including being highly corrosive which is why the BP substitutes were developed.

I think it was Mario that turned me on to the Blackhorn 209 and it has performed excellently for me.

https://jasminestorehouse.online/Blackhorn-209-Muzzleloading-Powder_i4999766

They also make a very handy graduated powder measure.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-028-538

I weigh my loads and then keep them in those little airtight containers.

I can't imagine why anyone with an inline would shoot anything but Blackhorn 209. I can shoot 20 shots without cleaning and if I want I can clean it next week. There is no good reason to use anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.